Go Down

Topic: EAGLE and making a rectangular via (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

skyjumper

Hi All...

I have a mini-USB type B connector with DIP legs that need to go into vias, but the legs are flat. So I need a via with an opening of 0.80 mm by 1.70 mm. How is this accomplished?

Thanks...

Jim

RuggedCircuits

Not easily. You either specify a round hole that has a diameter equal to the largest dimension (1.7mm) and "suck it up" on the shorter dimension, or you get the PCB made by a board house that is willing to do internal slots, then specify where those slots should be on a different Gerber layer. Lots of board houses will do it, they will just charge you extra.

--
The Flexible MIDI Shield: MIDI IN/OUT, stacking headers, your choice of I/O pins

skyjumper

Not easily. You either specify a round hole that has a diameter equal to the largest dimension (1.7mm) and "suck it up" on the shorter dimension...

That's what i did, thanks. I'm not happy with it, mostly because it puts the via pad under a part of the connector that the datasheet labels "no conductive traces."  I don't know why it says that. I think it means that the connectors metal body would short them, but I'm not sure. I think it would be okay though.

It also leaves some big gaps solder could go through, and some assembly houses will whine about that.

Thanks again.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy