Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: bootloader callable from sketch?  (Read 2970 times)
Delray Beach, FL USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I don't suppose the standard bootloader can be directly entered from code in a sketch without resetting can it? Some magic address I could jump to perhaps? I'd like to (eventually) be able to update the sketch via bluetooth simply by sending a special command to the sketch, then invoking avrdude to do the actual upload. The timing is such on my Uno R3 with a bluetooth shield that by the time the bluetooth is talking again after a reset, the bootloader has already jumped back to my sketch, so there is never a timing window where it is possible to do an upload.

Southern California
God Member
I like blinky lights
View Profile

Sort of.

You can do this

Code:
void software_Reset() // Restarts program from beginning but does not reset the peripherals and registers
{
asm volatile ("  jmp 0"); 
}

but you'll have to manually take care of resetting your hardware.

Google "arduino software reset" for more details than you probably want to know.....

Good luck!

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magagna <-- My last name.  Pretty apt.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Except the bootloader is NOT at location 0.  It's off at 0x7e00 (chip dependent), and it has built-in assumptions that will not be true if it is called from a sketch (all interrupts off, all IO devices in their reset configuration, etc...)

The preferred way to cause a reset from software is to turn on the watchdog timer and let THAT reset the chip, except that this will normally skip the bootloader when optiboot is used, because it is part of the sequence used to start the sketch...

Southern California
God Member
I like blinky lights
View Profile

My mistake -- I misread the post. Apologies.

Chris

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magagna <-- My last name.  Pretty apt.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

It would probably be easier to create a custom bootloader with a longer timeout.  Up to 8s is an easy change.

Delray Beach, FL USA
View Profile

Nah, that's what I'm doing now. Apparently doing the jmp 0 enters code that screws around with enough of the registers somehow that the bluetooth gets disconnected temporarily and that temporary is long enough to prevent the upload from working. In fact, I played around with binary searching the time delay and right at 73346 microseconds the error I get switches from ioctl errors on /dev/rfcomm0 to arduino not responding to avrdude :-). I need some way to jump to the bootloader code and have it use the existing rfcomm connection to do the upload. Either that, or a custom bootloader with a longer delay.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

Except the bootloader is NOT at location 0.  It's off at 0x7e00 (chip dependent), and it has built-in assumptions that will not be true if it is called from a sketch (all interrupts off, all IO devices in their reset configuration, etc...)

Interrupts are easily disabled with
Code:
asm("cli");
The pins can easily all be reset to inputs as well.
Still, the effect is probably not what you desire.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

Any reason to use the asm call rather than plain cli() or noInterrupts()?

Switzerland
View Profile

Which bluetooth shield & module are you using?  I'm wondering why the bluetooth connection is being interrupted after a reset.  I'm not so familiar with Arduino + BT, but I'm doing remote sketch uploads via an Xbee link without any trouble.  The XBee radio modules transmit the reset signal to the Arduino, but are not reset themselves so there is no disruption to the communication link.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

Any reason to use the asm call rather than plain cli() or noInterrupts()?
No. But I am more familiar with using it in asm tags.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Resistors for LEDS!

Delray Beach, FL USA
View Profile

Which bluetooth shield & module are you using? 

It is an ITead studio bluetooth shield v2.2. I also wonder a bit why the jmp 0 seems to reset it, but it sure seems to, the /dev/rfcomm0 device gets nothing but ioctl errors right after the reset. Anyway, I'm resigned to just using USB during development. Its not that big a deal, just a bit irritating. If I get irritated enough maybe I'll build a parallel programmer and see if I can up the delay time in the bootloader.

Switzerland
View Profile

I also wonder a bit why the jmp 0 seems to reset it, but it sure seems to, the /dev/rfcomm0 device gets nothing but ioctl errors right after the reset.

That's odd.  The schematics seem to show the BT-module's reset clearly separated from the Arduino's reset circuitry.  Could it be trying to auto-baud?  Do you change bit-rates at any time?

As for running the bootloader... since you're using an Uno the bootloader will only try to upload a new sketch after an external reset (any other type of reset will cause it to restart the sketch immediately).  That means pulling the ATmega328's reset pin down to ground -- you can't do it in software.  I'd suggest using one of the Arduino's digital output to do this, though I haven't tried it myself.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

The BT module is probbly reset as part of the startup() function in your code.

Washington
God Member
Firefox & Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'd suggest using one of the Arduino's digital output to do this, though I haven't tried it myself.

I have heard mixed opinions on this because the pin will go high impedance during reset which may lead to an incomplete reset. It will probably work though.

Resistors for LEDS!

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I'd suggest using one of the Arduino's digital output to do this, though I haven't tried it myself.

I have heard mixed opinions on this because the pin will go high impedance during reset which may lead to an incomplete reset. It will probably work though.

That is correct. The AVR datasheet cautions against trying to use that method.

Lefty

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: