Go Down

Topic: Ardomotic 2.0 - Web Interface for Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tarquinio

Hello everyone.

I've opened this thread to present version 2.0 of my project called Ardomotic. It's a web interface that allows the creation of Arduino projects without the need to write any code. Every configuration is performed on the browser. It's only necessary to have an internet connection, no other web servers are necessary other than the Arduino.

Some of the things that is possible to do with this project are:
- Create a custom interface using animations to represent the different devices connected to the arduino.
- Have real-time feedback from the system, with multiple users connected simultaneously.
- Create users with different levels of access to the system.
- Read data from sensors and program the system to react to the values.
- Schedule actions to be executed based on the day/hour.
- Create small programs in a high-level language within the interface to perform complex sequences of actions.
- Learn signals sent by radio or infrared remote controls and reproduce them whenever necessary.

You can check this 3 minutes video and get an idea of what is possible to do with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvE2nyFBV2g

And this is the new site for the project:
http://ardomotic.com/

The project is still under development, but there are already videos showing different things that are possible to do with it and how to get started. Feel free to give it a go and post your comments/questions here.

mkl0815

Sounds like an interesting project. But one question about that:
The "Address" is the address of the server, which can be either an IP or DNS for your server.
When connecting from the same network where the Arduino is located, you can just use the Arduino IP address.

How should this work, the only access to the Arduino is over your webservice. So you always need access from the internet to the Arduino-Server. Or is there a way to have the frontend service running on an local webserver (not Arduino).

How is the access to the Arduino protected against unauthorized connections? IMHO the Arduino is not able to do some session-encryption fpr the access from outside.

Mario,

tarquinio

Hello.

The connection that really matters is between the browser and the Arduino. There is no connection between the Arduino and the site ardomotic.com. The browser connects to the site to download the program and all the images, and then connects to the Arduino to get the system configurations. The site is only used for the purpose of serving the files much faster than the arduino would do. You can also run the files directly from your filesystem, it's something I plan on explaining better before the final release. But this is just to avoid downloading the files over the internet, there's no gain in terms of security for the Arduino.

Once the files are in the browser, the only connection is between the browser and the arduino, so if they are on the same network the data never leaves your personal network. If you want to access from outside the network, yes that's not so secure anymore, the data can be sniffed. I mention that in the homepage:
"The server can be completely open or protected. Different users types can be created with specific user levels, allowing them limited levels of access to the system. Note that the authentication process is NOT encrypted, meaning that someone with access to the network and the proper knowledge can get try to find the credentials. It is not possible to use encryption on the Arduino simply because it does not have enough resources to process it. "

I might try do port the project to an Arduino Yun or something similar in the future go it can have proper security, but unfortunately that's long down the road...

mc1976

You can also run the files directly from your filesystem, it's something I plan on explaining better before the final release.

Can i have the files to put into my local webserver?
Thank You!!!

tarquinio

I plan on adding a tutorial for that in the future, and of course add all the files directly in the download section. I'm still trying to make a few changes so it's easier to make it work everywhere.

mc1976

I plan on adding a tutorial for that in the future, and of course add all the files directly in the download section. I'm still trying to make a few changes so it's easier to make it work everywhere.

Ok thanks!

Go Up