Go Down

Topic: Monitoring and controlling an aquarium (Read 167 times) previous topic - next topic

akis_t

I am thinking of building an aquarium system.

It would ideally monitor:

Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
TDS
pH
Temperature
Water level
Water filter operation
Lights on/off

For ammonia/nitrites and niotrates I use a chemical kit. I am not sure if an electronic sensor exists.

For TDS and pH I use electronic tests bought on ebay, so I am sure there will be an appropriate sensor and a way to interface to an arduino

For water level I'd need maybe a water sensor for min/max (not a floater)

For temperature it's easy I'd use a NTC thermistor (got dozens in my drawer)

For water filter operation I'd need maybe a sensor on the outlet to detect water pressure. Not sure.

For lights on off, a relay controlled by the arduino based on time.

Overall I would need an RTC and maybe a GSM module to allow the board to SMS me if things go wrong.

I would like to hear from anyone who has worked on such a system.

In terms of priority, ammonia and nitrites can kill the fish within hours, so they are the most important to test.

wallaceb

i actually looked into a system like this for my own tank. i have already automated by snake's cage http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=140740.0

the issue i ran into when i was researching the design was how to get an electrical sensor to measure the ammonia and nitrites and i was coming up short. i was able to find a few devices that can measure those substances, but they were hand held units and not stand alone sensors. they were also very expensive. because of these reasons i decided not to continue.

i will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions as i am still interested in building a project like this.

ODwyerPW

I've played around with the stuff from Atlas-Scientific.  Saves me time.

Now they've got a bunch of true UART and I2C enabled stuff... so I guess I'll have to give that a shot in a future design.

Anyway, I remember someone (it wasn't PracticalMaker)... that was developing probes for measuring ammonia and nitrates...  I've lost the links.  I remember sending the links over to Jordan at Atlas-Scientific, so that those guys could have a look at what the dude was developing.  But, I can't find that email to Jordan either... Bummer.

Quiero una vida simple en Mexico...nada mas.

akis_t

Ammonia and Nitrites are the killers and are "a must have".

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy