Go Down

Topic: The hard disk is in the freezer - wish me luck! (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Graynomad

Last week I took  my computer in for a backlight repair, it came out with a new BL, new screen, new keyboard and a new main hard disk. Talk about going into hospital for an appendix and coming out in a box.

I'm happy to report that my backup procedure was mostly good for my data and I used the opportunity to reinstall the OS and make a fresh start. There were a few things I forgot so I bought a HD docking station and retrieved them, next day the disk failed totally.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

GoForSmoke

There's been times when I wished I had used a RAID. I've got one drive now that may have to go to a data recovery house.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Nick Gammon

I'm trying now, things seem a bit inconclusive. The drive appears mounted OK, but attempts to do a sector copy fail in the sense that it finished a minute later "all done!".

I'm trying this:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb conv=noerror,sync

Supposedly that should copy everything, skipping bad blocks but leaving gaps on the destination where they were. It actually copied about 900 mB out of 1 Tb.

Since that didn't work I reformatted the destination and am trying to do a recursive directory copy instead. That seems to work slightly better, but when it hits a bad block there seems to be about a 5 minute pause (possibly while the hard disk tries hard to recover) and then it presses on. So, maybe if I can get past the bad part, I will get most files back.

There's been times when I wished I had used a RAID. I've got one drive now that may have to go to a data recovery house.

I think next time some sort of RAID structure is warranted. The ideal is for, if one drive fails, the other one can be used immediately. I had two drives, just didn't have the operating system (ie. bootable) on the second one.

Nick Gammon

I can report this: Putting the disk in the freezer overnight doesn't seem to have done any harm. So things aren't any worse than yesterday.

GoForSmoke

The RAID structure I was thinking of is 3 or 4 drives where everything is duplicated spread out. A bit less redundancy? If one quits the rest keep going and you replace it. The drives don't have to match even.

I have the drives but too much on them to duplicate more than 10%. I run them as externals. XP burped and the 1.5T won't talk on the 2 big partitions, soft error on NTSC, delayed write failed ---- funny but I had delayed write disabled and hadn't done anything but started to READ a file. GD M$, I should have known better than connect when not running Linux! So that makes it MY fault! There's a lot of video I don't want to lose there.
I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Go Up