Go Down

Topic: Why good style is important ... (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

Serious - what's a pocket protector?
Some sort of super-hero who watches your personal finances?
Is this a USA thing?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Graynomad

Apr 05, 2012, 08:34 am Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 08:47 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
A soft plastic thing (liner) that you put in your chest shirt pocket to protect it from the blobs of ink that often accumulated on the end of one's biros.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Nick Gammon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_protector

They have an image of a "Linux" one. :P
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

AWOL

Wow!
And presumably people were gullible enough to part with cash for those?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Grumpy_Mike

Hey I have got one of those. I got it from the Open Source conference last year. It came in the goody bag we all got. It was from Sparkfun filled with LEDs, I thought it was just a fancy plastic bag, never seen one before.

Coding Badly

And presumably people were gullible enough to part with cash for those?

As you can see from this documentary they are worth their weight in gold...
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3197548544/tt0088000

kf2qd

It used to be that if you didn't have a pocket protector you weren't really a qualified tech/geek/nerd and could not be trusted to get things working or write usable code. Those poor pitiful folks who couldn't even change a light bulb seemed to think it was a fashion "faux pas" but then who did they call whenever tehy got themselves in trouble - the guy with the pocket protector. Got out of the habit of using one when I got into field service as my wrench set and computer didn't fit in one...

Wrend

Apr 12, 2012, 02:37 am Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 02:40 am by Wrend Reason: 1
My pen (Parker Jotter stainless steel ballpoint) doesn't leak.  8)

But I would like to get a holster for my calculator, or perhaps a nice compartmentalized courier satchel. There's too much stuff I like having available to use like a pen, pencil, eraser, notebook, calculator, flashlight, Victorinox Ranger, cellphone, and usually some reading material on whatever I'm studying up on.

I'm not a professional programmer, just a hobbyist, so programming in a readable way is for my own sake. An occasional pleasure of mine is using gotos (I play chess).

kf2qd

"Courier Satchel"??? Sorry, but that sounds kind of like a purse. Definitely not geekish, need a cardboard box with duct tape.

Wrend

Apr 14, 2012, 04:09 pm Last Edit: Apr 14, 2012, 05:19 pm by Wrend Reason: 1
Indiana Jones had a satchel.  8) A box with duct tape? That doesn't seem very practical or reliable.

I guess part of my point was that functionality being more important than fashion or aesthetics seems kind of geeky. The reason to have a satchel, calculator holster, or a pocket protector isn't just because they're cool or fashionable.  ;)

Either way, it's alright with me if having a satchel doesn't make me geeky...

Sorry for contributing to the derailment of this thread, if it displeases anyone.

James C4S

Wow! And presumably people were gullible enough to part with cash for those?

Watch Apollo 13.  Most of the guys in Mission Control wear them, as was popular among engineers in the 60s.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

AWOL

Hadn't retractable ballpoints (or caps) been invented back then?

James C4S

I think it was a matter of efficiency and convenience, more than "protection."  For a while it puzzled me why engineers who thought wearing one was okay, would be bothered if their shirt had an ink stain.  Then I realized, putting 5-6 writing instruments (and maybe a slide ruler) into a pocket everyday would be an issue.  Things could get missed! 

The solution?  Package them together into a convenient little plastic folder.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

jraskell

I think it was a matter of efficiency and convenience, more than "protection."

This.  It would be more appropriate to call them pocket organizers as opposed to pocket protectors.  The protection aspect was more of a side affect as opposed to a primary function.

James C4S

This.  It would be more appropriate to call them pocket organizers as opposed to pocket protectors.  The protection aspect was more of a side affect as opposed to a primary function.

Only someone who uses one would argue this statement.  ;)  J/K

Go Up