Go Down

Topic: dynamic arrays, structs and typedefs? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

aeemnrsu

Mar 23, 2012, 03:34 am Last Edit: Mar 23, 2012, 04:41 am by aeemnrsu Reason: 1
I am trying to implement a Kalman filter on the Arduino and I've had a slew of problems with dealing with matrices and the math between them. At first I thought just using two dimensional arrays would be fine (my two main languages being python and MATLAB, how could anything go wrong), but I ended up writing a new set of functions for each size which was head ache inducing when I found errors in my copy pasted code. As I was about to write a Matrix library using classes in C++, I was told about dynamic arrays.  These seem complicated, but it seems to be exactly what I need as it allows me to return a Matrix, as well as have a decent run time. I realized quickly I needed the size of my matrix to do matrix manipulations so I attempted to use a struct to hold all of the matrix's data. Unfortunately I have not implemented a struct before as well.  My code doesn't compile as of now, but I've included it anyways. It seems it's too big...so pastebin?
Matrix.c http://pastebin.com/ZaFW15MF
Matrix.h http://pastebin.com/hrp6VGuy

First question:
I read somewhere that typedef was actually what I needed to use to return struct like objects in c. Is this what I need?
Code: [Select]

typedef struct matrix_struct {
   float **value; // 2 dimensional dynamic array of value in the matrix
   int numRow;    // number of rows of Matrix
   int numCol;    // number of columns of Matrix
 }  Matrix;

as opposed to what I have:

struct Matrix {
   int numRow;    // number of rows of Matrix
   int numCol;    // number of columns of Matrix
 }  ;

Second question:
say I called d=addMatrix(multMatrix(a,b),c)
multMatrix(a,b) creates a new matrix. Do I have to deallocate this matrix data?
similarly if I already had an allocated Matrix a, and then I assigned the solution to one of my functions to a.
like this:

Matrix a=eye(3,3);
a=addMatrix(a,b);

Third question:
Is there any sort of simple error handling? I tend to mix up rows and columns a lot and I rather not have my code break.
Should I just have it print out some kind of error message via the Serial communication?

Nick Gammon

This gives a pointer to a pointer to a float:

Don't you just want a pointer to a float? (of course, there will be more than one of them).

I hope these arrays aren't going to get too big, you don't have a lot of memory.

You could consider using the Standard Template Library. That lets you have dynamic arrays.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

aeemnrsu

The biggest one is a 9x9 matrix.

As for pointers...I'm still new to C coding
I think I need a pointer to an array of pointers to an array of floats?

Go Up