Go Down

Topic: Lessons learnt tonite (Read 754 times) previous topic - next topic

leppie

Got a new LCD today.

After doing the power and ground connections I tested LCD. Backlight came on. Five seconds later, nothing.

Then I realized that I accidentally soldered the socket the wrong way around (lesson 1) and did not double check it.

I also realized how fragile LED's can be without a resistor (lesson 2).

Anyways, I managed to hack out the broken LED, and Dremelled a square shaped 'replacement' from a round LED.

I havent hooked it up yet to see if other damage was done. Need a beer and some sleep now  :)

Osgeld

heh, yep I am sure we have all had those moments, hope yours turns out OK
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

Otacon2k

Yeah, some days ago I wanted to plug the audio-cable of my portable speakers into the MP3-player. Instead I stuck the speakers' DC-adapter into the audio-jack of the player... same form factor, same size, I wondered why the player behaved a bit irritating... fortunately the jack only had ground on the outside. Lesson learnt: Don't plug cables without even watching.

cr0sh

Lesson learnt: Don't plug cables without even watching.

The real lesson to learn is one of design - don't design your products so that power can (potentially) be plugged into signal, and vice-versa. Similarly, each connector that performs a particular function should be standardized to that function only; back in the day, DB-9 connectors were standard for a lot of functionality on a PC; CGA/EGA were female DB-9, while serial ports were male - then somebody got enterprising with M-M/F-F adapters - and sparks were born!
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

jabber

Dremelled a square shaped 'replacement' from a round LED.

With a gung ho attitude and ability, you will always find work as an engineer somewhere  :)

leppie

Good news is the LCD is functioning.

Bad news is that I probably needed to use a white LED instead of blue one. Small detail I will sort out tomorrow :)

leppie

May 27, 2010, 04:40 pm Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:42 pm by leppie Reason: 1
OK, new LED in, looks all dandy now.  :)

Unfortunately I could not get a nice high brightness white LED, as that should look even better.

All in all, given I could not find a single link on the interweb to explain how to do the replacement, I must say I am impressed with myself   ::)

Edit: I wonder how well an UV LED would work. I have some that are 410nm range, which I understand should be ok to look at indirectly.   :-/

bld

I could not find a single link on the interweb to explain how to do the replacement

Maybe you can be the first to make one  ;)
captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

pracas

Why dont u try some RGB stuff? fancy new colors you might get.
Be The Change...

leppie

Why dont u try some RGB stuff? fancy new colors you might get.

I did think about that.

Two problems though.

1. I cant get RGB ones readily, will need to order some.
2. When I used the blue LED, due to having a blue background, it didnt really work.

I'll try something if I can get my hands on one :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy