Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: There's something funny going on with Google  (Read 4820 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm not sure I know of a search engine that is reasonably good, that you pay for, that doesn't collect personal information.

Very true. This makes the situation even worse. My recommendation: help Wikipedia. If you just Google you will by default get into the hands of advertisers which are working to the best interest of whoever pays them. If you want to, you can pay wikipedia.

I helped a little bit. If you are looking for well-documented formal info, wiki is good. If you are chasing some ghosts, you will have to use a search engine, like part number of a scrap piece inside a machine. Those that post this type of info will not consider writing a wiki article for that piece. But if you want to read about electron tubes, wiki has a fairly nice collection of well-written articles to get you started with. Just my 2 cents.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Good idea. I have done that in the past. I see more clearly now why I should continue to do so.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

In firefox, select the green color address and right click open in new window. Yep,extra step for you!

Even that is not working. Most addresses are too long and google only does www.abc.com/the_importa.....was/ There is no way to escape google with the green address.

Even those "too-long" green addresses ARE NOT present in the html code. They are downloaded from server function returns so you can't really find them in html. With the short enough addresses, there's onmouseclick crap to redirect you to a google address.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:12:30 am by liudr » Logged

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I think they want their advertising dollar. Or they want to know what we are thinking. Or both.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I think they want their advertising dollar. Or they want to know what we are thinking. Or both.

It's too bad that I have to use it everyday as there's not many alternatives.

View Profile

https://duckduckgo.com/

Check it out. Fun little secure search that doesn't track you. Their privacy policy is a breath of fresh air.

I've more significantly disliked Google since they started doing the auto-complete and search suggestions before I finish typing, and when they added the extra junk on their main page.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:31:53 pm by Wrend » Logged

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Mmmmhmmm-hmmm-hmmm-hmmmmmm-hmmmm!

Yeah well the evil mofos do use the stupid and incompetent to cover themselves. And I don't just mean O.J. and his lawyer.

There is something that can be done but it will take a lot of people and word would probably leak out....

Does anyone remember the punch cards of the 60's? Different people added holes and sometimes the results got pretty funny. Other times nobody got their banking done on time.

Because if Google is taking search data then some trends can be indicated that don't mean what they appear to.

If the product is us then whoever's forking the bucks over will be expecting results. FWIW I believe that what they're selling is more their own cooking than the raw data. But I have to wonder if suddenly a significant number of people suddenly searched up things they never would. Can Google tell when you don't fit your profile? Or if millions of people all look the same word up on the same day, only it's not in any dictionary?

Well, okay, we students did that back in HS, 74-75. There was a nonsense word but only the majority of students (over 2000 there) knew that. It was graphitti'd all over and mention in the hall when a faculty member could hear. They never understood, they went deeply paranoid and that was the whole goal. During class change someone would yell the word and in all directions the call was taken up like echoes. The cool teachers did nothing. The control freaks probably need BP medicine, they'd run out in the hall and grab a kid who'd repeated it and snarl "what does it MEAN?". The answer? Nothing, it's just a word. Which was the absolute truth. But since that didn't fit their picture, we were all lying! So it must be something important and they were going to find out!
Seven years before, remember the true right-wing paranoia of 1968? A HS next to ours had done the same thing with the same word. And that time the State Troopers went in and did an occupy of their own, not that it did any good besides confirm the power of ideas. So we weren't the first but IMO conditions for a repeat of that just don't exist. The Vietnam War (it's -just- a police action, I was told back then) ended and disco emptiness replaced what political awareness there was. So it's gotten to where I see the jocks and the conformists bully everyone on the social fringes until one of them brings guns to school. Just for the record, I liked it our way better!

BTW, I found out later that the school system superintendent and a bunch of the English and History teachers had a Satan worship cult going with a few of the students and did sacrifice one of their number (I sat in her class long enough to transfer to creative writing, she was into what I felt was decadent shit for the wrong reasons, yeah I knew the woman.) and a book got written about it, Echoes in the Darkness, that covers less than half of the goings-on. Yeah, the superintendent was supposedly a former hit-man. He got life but was paroled in the 90's. I think the cult leader is still inside. He tried to collect the $750,000 life insurance on the dead teacher but the alibi got blown. Kill someone, get out after a while. Take the money, you're going to wait a bit longer oh laddy-o!

Yeah, us kids were the bad ones. Right?

So what happens if people start searching on words that can't be found, over and over? They start finding the other searchers and any notes containing those words. And Google sees a trend.

Our word at our school was blexcroid. But that's been used a lot since. I think that new words that are just words need to be coined. Then maybe the dog can wag the tail for a change.

Even if it gets rumbled, the credibility of the data collectors will be damaged and that in itself is a victory. If they do catch on then even a rumor can get them looking hard for what may or may not be there.

So do some pointless searches now and then. A lot of them. Think of it as punching extra holes in the data card. Just be sure to laugh when you do it. After all, something like that should be FUN!

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

There are sites that will create any response to search as if the searched content existed on that site but there's nothing other than age old crap of spam advertising. You get that a lot if you search a longer phrase instead of a word such as blexcroid.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

There might be a disruptive use for that, too. Anything that raises the noise to signal that Google is getting about our personal data should reduce the value of what data they did get.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

There might be a disruptive use for that, too. Anything that raises the noise to signal that Google is getting about our personal data should reduce the value of what data they did get.

Let's create a list of words and phrases that all of us will search up to three times everyday. You can put them on your side bar (vista) or else so you always have access to them. These contents have to be orthogonal to what we do so google will be confused with who we are and what we do.

I'll start a list for myself:

1. hello kitty
2. testaments
3. American idol

Searched. I feel safe under the noise now smiley

What are your three terms of disguise?

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

I've thought about this and maybe have a good one for laying useless search trails: internet scavenger hunts.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: