Go Down

Topic: MIDI Xilophone (over serial) to Ableton (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic

boguz

Sorry, but i have no idea of what it means to run it from processing.   =/
I have been running it just by double clicking it.
but yes, with it there is a folder with a "Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C.pde" and "Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C.java" files.
i have opened the .pde file in Arduino's software, but then what should i do with it?
Should i upload it to the arduino?

If i open it in Arduino's software and then open the serial monitor from there i get:
1446912712869127 (which i assume are also the same midi values as before...)

i am feeling soooooooo lost with this!!

Grumpy_Mike

Mar 25, 2012, 04:53 pm Last Edit: Mar 25, 2012, 05:01 pm by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
If i open it in Arduino's software and then open the serial monitor from there i get:
1446912712869127 (which i assume are also the same midi values as before...)

Yes this is the same as before and shows your arduino and sensors are working correctly. What is not working is the bit that converts this serial data into MIDI. The arduino's serial monitor must be closed when you attempt to use serial <> MIDI.

Processing is a language, a bit like the aruino but it runs on your computer.
Down load it from here:-
http://processing.org/
And install it ( it is just clicking )

Then down load the "themidibus" library from:-
http://smallbutdigital.com/themidibus.php
Unzip it and put it in the libraries folder which is inside the Processing folder that the Processing language created when you installed it.

Then go into the Processing folder and create a folder called Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C, and put that source file Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C.pde inside it.

Then run the Processing application and use the menu File -> Sketchbook -> Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C to load it in. Run it from the arrow in the top corner.
Choose Bus 1.
If you choose Java Sound Synthesizer, when offered, then you should be able to hear your taps on your sensors.

boguz

Aaaaaaahhhhh, i can feel that we are getting close!!!

I have installed the Processing software (which, by the way, seems like a nice software to explore...) and also instaled the midibus library.
i opened the "Serial_MIDI_Converter_V2C" pde file in Processing but then got an error message when i tried to run it.

it sais:
The function returnList() does not exist.

and it highlights this line of the code:
String midiport[][] = myBus.returnList();

Any ideas on what is wring with this line?
Thanks
=)

Grumpy_Mike

Odd I searched all that code and there is no mention of returnList(),
can you copy ALL the error message and paste it in the reply.

Grumpy_Mike

Have you got the same source as me, that line you changed by editing doesn't exist either.
It might be worth downloading this code again.
I downloaded it this morning, unfortunately it is too long to post.

Go Up