Go Down

Topic: MIDI Xilophone (over serial) to Ableton (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic

boguz

oh nooooooooooooo, i can't believe it!!!   It is actually WORKING!!!   :D

There are two piezos not working and one that plays two notes at the same time. But i'll take a look at this tomorrow when there is more light and i have some more energy (probably i have some connections in the breadboard that opened from all the moving around)!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!   I think this has been a great step towards making this project come true!
=)

Stay tuned for the next chapter...
;)

boguz

I took a close look and, indeed, some of the piezo wires were a bit loose from all the moving around. I fixed that and now they all play a different not and i run the Serial <> Converter through Processing.

When i now open the MIDI Monitor i get this kind of result:
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note On   1   D3   127
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note Off   1   D3   127
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note On   1   F3   127
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note Off   1   F3   127
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note On   1   A3   127
*** ZERO ***   From Xilof OUT   Note Off   1   A3   127

(from pressing 3 piezos in sequence)

So, is it now ok to assume the "assembly" and Midi Conversion parts are working fine?

= = = = = = = = = =

So, my next step would involve two things: add some LEDs and add some controls.

LEDs
I would like to add an LED to each piezo, that would light up when we play and then would slowly fade out (maybe 1 second)
What would be the easiest way to achieve this?

Controls
I would like to add 4 buttons (MIDI, that i could then assign for things like Play, Stop, trigger some event, change sound,...)
and add also 4 knobs (that could be assigned for things like volume, modulation, tempo,...)
Would this be easily done by just enabling one other multiplexer from the code?

Any thoughts about this two things?

Grumpy_Mike

Any extras you add are going to increase the latency because the code has to look at them as well. Anyway you can pile on the extras until it gets too much.

With the LEDs the simplest from a programming point of view is to add a shift register:-
http://www.elcojacobs.com/shiftpwm/

add also 4 knobs

Yes adding an extra multiplexer will do this.

to add 4 buttons

You should have some spare pins left on the arduino.

boguz

You should have some spare pins left on the arduino.

So i can just add normal buttons to a digital pin? This shouldn't then be a problem, at the moment i am using only 3 of the digital pins.

With the LEDs the simplest from a programming point of view is to add a shift register:-

for the LEDs, i have a couple of 74HC595N. I saw http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut that we can use it to plug several LEDs. But i would have really NO IDEA on how to right a code reading which piezo was played and telling which LED should light up!

Well, i think i will start with the buttons. Maybe that is something accessible for my level.
Anyway, i don't have anymore multiplexers, so i need to wait until tuesday when i'm going to town to buy one more.

Grumpy_Mike

So i can just add normal buttons to a digital pin?

Yes, you can even use an analogue pin and treat it as a digital one if you want.

I saw http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut that we can use it to plug several LEDs.

Two things, that schematic has an error, there should be no capacitor on the latch pin. Second that software will not give you the fading you want. Use the code in the link for that.
Just do a few examples, given in the link, and you will get the hang of how to control the shift registers.

Go Up