Go Down

Topic: Creating a standalone Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kf2qd

The 328P and the 328 have different signatures bytes. Several files need additions/changes to be made and then you could work with either chip.

From the questions you asked and the way you asked them it suggests that for now, you would be better served getting a few 328P chips and getting a little more experience before you tackle too many changes.

Hooking up a 328P on a breadboard is not difficult, get hold of a Max232 or SP3232 or similar chip and you can program it using the serial port on your PC. I have one configured this way. I use mine for testing other circuits that I am bread boarding. It is easier than running jumpers from my Arduino board to the bread boad as everything is a bit more solid and stable. You can find several Breadboard Arduino pages out there and even a couple YouTube videos.

A bread boarded 328 works just fine at 16Mhz. I have done it several times with a 16Mhz resonator.

CrossRoads

Crystal, 22pFc caps, 10K pullup resistor, are available quite inexpensively from dipmicro.com, I have used them in a lot of projects, shipping costs are really low too.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

samwhiteUK

Ah, I'm in the UK. Anyone with any experience from stores over here? Which are the best?

I wasn't planning on modifications, just wondering, as I stated a couple of times.

kf2qd

I was referring to modifications to some files. No modifications are needed to be made to the Arduino hardware. You might consider getting a 328 or 2 with the bootloader already loaded.

Qtechknow

I think your problem is that you are not loading the correct bootloader onto the chip.  If you get your new blank chips (bootloader, or no bootloader) you will need to burn the bootloader with arduino isp.  Wire it up like the example on the arduino site, and then upload ArduinoISP in the examples tab to your arduino.  Then choose "atmega328 on a breadboard" in the boards menu, and then burn this bootloader with ArduinoISP.  Now the fuses will be set for the internal crystal, and you can upload programs now to this atmega.

Go Up