Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using Relay with Ardunio  (Read 398 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am thinking of using relay to power up the USB host shield on specific intervals and then turn it off. Therefore I would be using the VCC of the Arduino for power of the Relay, and a set bit to turn on or provide current through the relay. Can anybody share the circuit for such a setup. I guess I would be using transistor and ofcourse a relay. Can any body share the specific information and circuit digram.

Arkansas, US
I only ever use XAND and XNAND gates.
View Profile

I don't know anything about the USB host shield, but I think like most shields it pulls power from the arduino power pins.  The only way to turn it on/off would be to cut a trace and install a switch maybe?

View Profile

I am thinking of installing a relay so that it gets the current from the power pins only on specific intervals when the bit is set.

I am also looking to switch the current to another device (USB Host Shield )  using relay functionality. And the relay would be turned on once the microcontroller comes back to sleep. I have checked out the basic circuits one given in the arduion play ground. I am unable to guess where would I place the positive and ground connection of the device which i need to run from the relay.

View Profile

Any Suggestions ???

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well it is hard to give any suggestions because it is hard to understand what you want to do and why.
Cutting off power to a shield is not a wise thing to do if the chips on that shield have connections to the arduino. Feeding a signal into an unpowerd chip is a good way to destroy it or cause what is called a latch up where nothing functions when the power is restored to half the circuit and you need a power down of everything.

I am also looking to switch the current to another device (USB Host Shield )
First you switch voltage not current. Next are you talking about two USB shields?

I am unable to guess where would I place the positive and ground connection of the device which i need to run from the relay.
Guessing is never a good idea in electronics. Look at this page to see how to wire up a relay.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Workshop/Motors_1.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: