Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Myostimulator  (Read 2011 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Here is my physiology project  smiley

I'm building a muscle stimulator that will have to control 4 groups of frog leg muscles so that i can achieve movement across 2 articulations.
The source for the impulses will be the standard lab stimulator but it has only 1 pair of electrodes and for this experiment i need 4 pairs.
I want the arduino to turn on and off the electrodes at certain times and for certain periods of time. can somebody give me a rough schematic on how to build the circuit, or at least what should i use for switches (transistors, relays ?), what arduino pins to use and how to turn that 1 pair of electrodes into 4 ?
I'm relatively new to electronics and the arduino, but would very much like to make this project happen.

Thank you, sorry for my english...

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Well - first we'd have to know the output voltage of the lab stimulator, as well as its current capability; I suspect the former would be somewhat high, while the latter to be fairly low.

It might turn out to be easier to build 4 homemade TENS units, and control them with the Arduino; circuits I have seen on the internet for a homemade TENS seem to all use a 555 timer in some fashion; the Arduino could probably substitute for that using PWM. More or less you would be feeding a PWM signal into a voltage multiplier circuit, whose output would go to the electrodes.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

View Profile

I haven't yet collected the parameters of the lab stimulator (will do that tomorrow), but here is a picture of an application we use to simulate working with it. should be enough to understand what it's capable of.

http://www.clabs.de/SimMuscle-Labpic.htm

* SimMuscle-Lab-big.jpg (110.78 KB, 640x480 - viewed 49 times.)

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Hmm - only up to .5 volts, correct? Well - then maybe not much current at all; I'm not really certain what could be used to switch such low voltages and currents (maybe small signal transistors or such).

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Durham UK
aka Craig Turner
View Profile

Could you not just use 4 "stimulators" like the top left module in the picture?

Craig Turner, blog: http://gampageek.blogspot.co.uk/ It helps with my learning if I write things down, esp. for others to follow (constructive comments welcomed to improve)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: