Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Windows doesn't recognize Arduino  (Read 2804 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been using Arduino UNO successfully for a while now, but about a week ago, it stopped connecting to my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 Bit).  I had successfully used it for about 6 months before this (uploading sketches, establishing a serial connection with programs on the computer, etc.).  It's not just that it doesn't work with the Arduino IDE; when I plug it in to the computer, absolutely nothing happens.  I can't see the Arduino in device manager, and the Arduino IDE doesn't see it either.  When I hit the reset button on the Arduino, the "L" button flashes which, if I am not mistaken, means that there is a boot loader on the board?  I know it's not the computer, as I was able to test it(the computer) with a friend's UNO (exactly the same board), and everything worked perfectly.  When my board stopped working, I had it hooked up to a circuit, and it was working fine (it was set up with a serial connection to Processing), and then a few minutes later, I went back to it, and it wasn't working.  If anyone has any ideas as to how (or if) I can fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

Tucson, AZ
View Profile

Did you test your board on your friends computer?

View Profile

I haven't tried it on his computer specifically, but I have tried it on two other computers with no success.

View Profile

At this point I think it may be a problem with the USB to TTL converter on the board (although I really have no idea, as I am kind of a Newbie at this  smiley-lol).  I have an external USB to TTL converter; are there any tests I could perform with this to see if this is the case?

Thanks,
thegadgetguy

Austin, TX
God Member
carpe diem
View Profile

If the firmware has been corrupted on the 8U2, then you might be able to revive it by following these steps:
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

The 8U2 and 16U2 on the R3 UNOs is responsible for the USB to serial conversion.

View Profile

Thanks for the response, I will try those instructions as soon as I get a spare minute.    I have confirmed that that is the problem, as the board worked fine this afternoon with an external USB - TTL converter.  I have an arduino R2, not an R3 - will that affect things?

Thanks so much for the advice!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: