Go Down

Topic: ATmega328 optiboot with ftdi breakout? (Read 774 times) previous topic - next topic

PhayilBoy

Hey there all,

I recently purchased an atmega 328 with the uno bootloader and have been programming it with my arduino uno board but my uno is now being used elsewhere in a different project, so instead I tried connecting my ftdi breakout but everytime I try and upload a sketch it comes up with a sync error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So is it possible to program the chip and monitor serial using an ftdi breakout? and if so how, or do I need to burn the duemilanove bootloader?

the ftdi breakout I'm using is the um232r which has the ft232rl chip on it (in case that helps at all)

thanks PhayilBoy,

johnwasser

> So is it possible to program the chip and monitor serial using an ftdi breakout?

Yes

> and if so how, or do I need to burn the duemilanove bootloader?

Should work fine with the UNO bootloader.  Did you implement auto-reset?  If not you will have to manually reset.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

PhayilBoy

Yeah I thought that I had but I must have done it wrong because I just connected it up again and it works now.

Thanks for the help  :)

CrossRoads

Yes, you need DTR going thru a 100nF cap to the reset pin on the '328, which also needs a 10K pullup resistor to its Vcc.  Otherwise, as JohnW says, a momentary reset switch to ground that you press & release when the IDE says "compiled sketch xxx of 32,xxx bytes" (some message along those lines).
Check that Rx/Tx lines are not swapped, that is another common problem.
Or not hacing all the grounds connected.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy