Go Down

Topic: ATmega328 optiboot with ftdi breakout? (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

PhayilBoy

Hey there all,

I recently purchased an atmega 328 with the uno bootloader and have been programming it with my arduino uno board but my uno is now being used elsewhere in a different project, so instead I tried connecting my ftdi breakout but everytime I try and upload a sketch it comes up with a sync error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So is it possible to program the chip and monitor serial using an ftdi breakout? and if so how, or do I need to burn the duemilanove bootloader?

the ftdi breakout I'm using is the um232r which has the ft232rl chip on it (in case that helps at all)

thanks PhayilBoy,

johnwasser

> So is it possible to program the chip and monitor serial using an ftdi breakout?

Yes

> and if so how, or do I need to burn the duemilanove bootloader?

Should work fine with the UNO bootloader.  Did you implement auto-reset?  If not you will have to manually reset.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

PhayilBoy

Yeah I thought that I had but I must have done it wrong because I just connected it up again and it works now.

Thanks for the help  :)

CrossRoads

Yes, you need DTR going thru a 100nF cap to the reset pin on the '328, which also needs a 10K pullup resistor to its Vcc.  Otherwise, as JohnW says, a momentary reset switch to ground that you press & release when the IDE says "compiled sketch xxx of 32,xxx bytes" (some message along those lines).
Check that Rx/Tx lines are not swapped, that is another common problem.
Or not hacing all the grounds connected.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up