Go Down

Topic: Arduino based incubator - hangs - SOLVED - power supply issues (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

wildbill

Before you rule out power issues completely, consider whether the mains power you're getting is ok. I recall another troubleshooting thread where the eventual problem turned out to be a very old fridge. When the compressor kicked in, it caused all sorts of issues for the electronics plugged in on the same circuit.

Cromp

Good luck... BTW those eggs look smaller than the ones in Jurassic Park smiley-wink

Yes, fortunately. When they are 5 months old they still need to fit in my homebuilt plucker.

Before you rule out power issues completely, consider whether the mains power you're getting is ok. I recall another troubleshooting thread where the eventual problem turned out to be a very old fridge. When the compressor kicked in, it caused all sorts of issues for the electronics plugged in on the same circuit.

wildbill, thank you for that remark. Especially the part about the old fridge, because:

One likely culprit is standing there! But I noticed before the lights flicker heavily when inductive loads get switched on...
I placed a 2200 µF capacitor parallel to the output of my power supply and voila. No more reboots for the last 4 days.

Thank you so much!

sbolel

I placed a 2200 µF capacitor parallel to the output of my power supply and voila. No more reboots for the last 4 days.

Hey. I have the same problem right now with a heavy load circuit causing my arduino to hang. im using a usb adapter and a usb cable to power it. how would i go about putting the capacitor parallel to the usb power output?

i'd appreciate any help. thanks!

MarkT

Add it from the 5V pin to one of the ground pins.  If its too big a capacitor its conceivable the USB supply could trip out (more likely for an actual computer/laptop than a wall-wart supply).

[BTW there is already 47uF on 5V rail on the standard Arduino]
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

sbolel

Add it from the 5V pin to one of the ground pins.  If its too big a capacitor its conceivable the USB supply could trip out (more likely for an actual computer/laptop than a wall-wart supply).

[BTW there is already 47uF on 5V rail on the standard Arduino]

thanks for your help. ill give it a shot later today and post results.
Here is the original thread with my issue for reference.

Go Up