Go Down

Topic: news about The Foxconn Technology Group (China) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Osgeld

dont they employ 400,000 people or something ridiculous than that?

Here I go sounding like an asshole, but I live in the US, work 2 jobs, at the end of the month have less leftover at the end of the month  than these people and they do not have to pay for rent food or transportation

I know they work hard, but reading these articles seeing things like "our dreams of driving a bmw and owing an I phone are crushed" really does not play my heart strings, cause guess what, I cant afford a bmw, or an I phone either so join the friggin club

And yet there is no news reporter taking a picture of me being tired at my desk

daveg360

If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

cr0sh

Osgeld:

Are you even reading the same article? I don't see any mention of lacking in material things being the cause of this man's suicide.

We are both fortunate to live in a country where, if we don't like the working conditions, we can our boss to f-off and go somewhere else, and we don't have to worry about the secret police showing up at our door because of it.

Now, while Shenzhen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen) and more-so Hong Kong, are supposed to be "special" (as-in special economic zones - where China plays around with integrating capitalism with communism), the truth on the ground is likely far different. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this man felt, for whatever reasons, that he didn't have a way out except for death. He was probably feeling depressed and had other issues long before this, but didn't have any support or anyone who cared (or maybe no place to go to seek help?).

I am not saying that all China-based companies are like this, but we really don't know, do we? Its a very strange business model they have, and it seems to be working fairly well for them, so much so that other countries and governments are looking to emulate it, which to me is a scary thing to think about. Capitalism as an economic engine to a strange blend of communism and totalitarianism seems be something that would be ultimately oppressive to the people under it, but seem to outsiders to an ok system (and to a certain segment, an alluring thing to emulate).

To me it seems this way, but I also have this strange feeling that it is all a scam in some manner, wool being pulled over the world's eyes just as long as the world can keep its cheap toy factory...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Osgeld

May 25, 2010, 06:39 pm Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:41 pm by Osgeld Reason: 1
Are you even reading the same article? I don't see any mention of lacking in material things being the cause of this man's suicide.

no I have just read the other 45 articles including one from a Chinese newspaper where they went undercover into Foxconn and THAT was the opinion of the workers asked (boiled down)

and I would love to tell my boss that, but the last time I did that I ended up living on a couch for 4 months, so you CAN, but its much like taking a dump in your car, its really not advised

Go Up