Go Down

Topic: After re-plugging in USB, garbage (null bytes) from serial (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

el_supremo

That does seem like some of the problem I've been having on the Nano. But I also have a Duemilanove and that also exhibits this kind of problem.
I'm still trying to nail this down to something repeatable in a small amount of code.

[edit] @clong - thanks for that link.

Pete

clong

I have just noticed, when working correctly, the Tx LED flashes once every 10 seconds.

When the unit is powered up via USB, however the LED on pin 13 continues to flash even though the Tx LED doesn't flash. This only fixed by opening up serial monitor.

Surely this proves the that the problem resides in the initialisation of serial communication on the arduino? I tried sticking a few delays in the program setup but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Is there any other way I can manually force the serial connection to be reset from the arduino side?

clong

Okay I think I figured this out- turning on hardware handshaking in my terminal client seems to solve the problem!

Hope it sorts you out Pete.

PaulS

Okay I think I figured this out- turning on hardware handshaking in my terminal client seems to solve the problem!

Great news. Thanks for the follow up. This issue seems to cause a lot of people grief, so having at least a possible suggestion to offer will be helpful.

The frustrating thing is that each application uses different names to enable/disable whatever this particular feature name is enabling/disabling. It's better than nothing, though.

Go Up