Go Down

Topic: Can't upload sketches to custom Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

TiboJ

Hello everyone,

I recently made my custom Arduino with the help of this tutorial:
http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/ArduinoBreadboard

I wired everything up like in the tutorial, except the Sparkfun USB to Serial converter, I use the Arduino USB to Serial Converter Light.

Now the problem is that when I try to upload the example Blink sketch, the Arduino IDE 1.0 gives this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

What could be the problem?

I already checked this forum and the internet for solutions, but none of them work.
I've installed this driver: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/Arduino_USBSerial.zip .

If I look in the device manager, the COM is fine and don't needs an update.
In the Arduino IDE, I've selected COM 7(it's the right COM) and selected Arduino Uno as my board.

I'm using the ATmega328 chip with the Uno Optiboot(it was already when I bought it).

Maybe the problem is that I don't have the Reset pin connected on the USB2Serial board? Only the TX, RX, 5V and GND are connected.

I've also seen that the led on my custom Arduino doesn't flash if I reset it.
And also, the TX and RX leds flash when uploading a sketch.

Things I've tried:

- Upload the sketch and press Reset with different timing
- Selecting different boards in the IDE
- Press reset before uploading the sketch
- Replacing the ATmega328 with another(also with optiboot)

Regards,
Tibo

TiboJ

It seems like something is wrong on my custom Arduino.
I uploaded the sketch by inserting the chip into my original Arduino Uno, and then it worked.
But when I insert the chip in my custom Arduino, then the led doesn't blink...

spycatcher2k

Press and hold reset, press upload, when sketch size is shown release reset.

Try That.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Coding Badly

There should be two pins on the target processor connected to +5V.  Are they?  When you measure the voltage on each of these two pins is it close to +5V?  With the power disconnected, measure the resistance between the +5V pins and the point where +5V is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?

There should be two pins on the target connected to GND.  Are they?  With the power disconnected, measure the resistance between the GND pins and the point where GND is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?

Are you using a crystal or resonator?

TiboJ

Press and hold reset, press upload, when sketch size is shown release reset.

Try That.

No luck with that.

There should be two pins on the target processor connected to +5V.  Are they?

The VCC, AREF and AVCC go to the 5v rail.

When you measure the voltage on each of these two pins is it close to +5V?

VCC is 5v, AREF is 0.35v, AVCC is 0.75v.

measure the resistance between the +5V pins and the point where +5V is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?

Yes

There should be two pins on the target connected to GND.  Are they? 

Yes

With the power disconnected, measure the resistance between the GND pins and the point where GND is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?

Yes

Are you using a crystal or resonator?

A crystal

Thanks for helping me!

CrossRoads

"The VCC, AREF and AVCC go to the 5v rail."
yet
"VCC is 5v, AREF is 0.35v, AVCC is 0.75v."

Something not right there - all should be 5V.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Coding Badly

VCC is 5v, ... AVCC is 0.75v.

measure the resistance between the +5V pins and the point where +5V is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?  Yes

That is an impossibility.  If your circuit is wired as you claim then VCC and AVCC have to be at the same voltage.

Argh!  Ninja'd by CrossRoads!

TiboJ

CrossRoads

Yeah, had a couple minutes free at just the right time it seems!
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

TiboJ

Apr 12, 2012, 10:46 am Last Edit: Apr 12, 2012, 10:49 am by TiboJ Reason: 1
Ok I see that I've measured it wrong yesterday. Here are the new results:

When you measure the voltage on each of these two pins is it close to +5V?

Yes

With the power disconnected, measure the resistance between the +5V pins and the point where +5V is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohm?

It is 0 ohm, but on the point where it connects to the breadboard it is 835 ohm.
So maybe the socket where the chip is inserted is the problem?

With the power disconnected, measure the resistance between the GND pins and the point where GND is connected to the breadboard.  Is the resistance close to zero ohms?

Yes

I checked the wiring again, and everythig is exact the same as in the tutorial.

TiboJ

It's working!
I found out that it was the socket that was the problem.

Thanks for helping me!

CrossRoads

Go Up