Go Down

Topic: 4 LED 'bars' with fade in, on for 20 secs, f/out? (Read 438 times) previous topic - next topic

Rich

Nov 16, 2007, 12:06 am Last Edit: Nov 16, 2007, 12:09 am by Rich Reason: 1
Hi there Arduino Addicts!

Hardware & Programming/code question RE: LEDs

I've a sculpture that currently lights up using 4 pre-made LED boards. Each board has 16 LEDs with resistors inbuilt and runs off 12 VDC and approx 250-300 mA of current. I power all 4 boards using a regulated 12 VDC, 1.66 Amp power adapter/transformer.

My question is, using the Arduino Diecimila, how might the hardware and code be set up such that 2 of the 4 LED boards (red) do this cycle:
a). a 5 sec fade-in followed by,
b). remaining on for 20 sec,
c). fade-out in 5 sec,
d). remain off for 20 sec,
e). loop to a).

And then the other 2 boards (blue) do the same cycle but start with a 10 second delay after the red boards...

I'm thinking that maybe using PWM trigger from a pin and some arrangement of resistors and transistor(s) (perhaps a TIP 120 transistor to handle the high current aspect from the PSU?)

If anyone has any ideas/code/circuit schematics to help, that would be truely awesome  ;D - I have a basic knowledge of circuits, but not enough to figure this puppy out  ;)

Many thanx!

Cheers,

Rich.
Vita per Artem :: Life by Art

Cheater

Hi there Arduino Addicts!

I dont have a problem. I can stop any time I want.  ;D

PWM and high current transistors should work fine.
Cant help with transistor advice though. Never used high current stuff before.

Rich

Classic !
Thanks Cheater - it's good to know that I might be on the right track with PWM & transistors (I only discovered what PWM was yesterday)..
Rich
Vita per Artem :: Life by Art

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy