Go Down

Topic: My standalone arduino, quick overview (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

C220amg

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could have a very quick look on my standalone scheme. This is my first, more complex, scheme that I've made and I have put some work into it.
Normally I wouldn't ask but it would be sin if my pcb doesn't work because of a small or dumb mistake in the scheme.  :smiley-red:

It is basically a standard Atmega328P-au by which I have added a few sensors such as the ADXL345 accelerometer, ITG-3200 and a micro sd slot with a low level shifter 74HC4050D.

Many thanks in advance!
Kindest regards,
Niels

Grumpy_Mike

It's a bit small but looks fine.
The two caps on the crystal should be 22pF rather than 10pF but that is not vital.

C220amg

It's a bit small but looks fine.
The two caps on the crystal should be 22pF rather than 10pF but that is not vital.

Thanks!

Well the capacitors are actually 18pF because the crystal I ordered has this as load capicity. Is it still from importance to change to 22pF? It seems illogic to me.

Regards Niels,

Grumpy_Mike

C220amg

Apr 02, 2012, 09:52 am Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 09:55 am by C220amg Reason: 1
I just uploaded a bigger image of the schematic, hopefully this one is a bit more clear!

Regards,
Niels

Graynomad

That's clearer, I can read the values now.

Looks reasonable at first glance. What's your "sketch uploader"? I assume you've knocked up an adapter for an FTDI cable or some such.

The uSD may clash with ISP programming but that's easy to remove.

Any reason for using two 1k resistors for the LED2? I sometime do that to reduce the number of different components but I can;t see that being an issue here.

LED3 only has a 150R resistor, that's different to the 500R LED2 has. Different Vf on the LEDs?

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

CrossRoads

I would add at least a ground connection on your ISP & Sketch interfaces, assuming the rest is always powered from the supply logic.
If you are going to bootload with an AVR ISP Mkii, you will also need the uC's VCC connected so the ISP knows what voltage level is being used.
(learned that from recent experience!)
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

C220amg

Apr 02, 2012, 07:27 pm Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 07:30 pm by C220amg Reason: 1
Thanks for the feedback, I already tried to implement it.
I was planning to bootload as explained here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard
but wasn't sure about the ground and power supply, thus now implemented both at the ISP and, as I call it "sketch uploader" basically where I upload my arduino code.

That's clearer, I can read the values now.

Looks reasonable at first glance. What's your "sketch uploader"? I assume you've knocked up an adapter for an FTDI cable or some such.

The uSD may clash with ISP programming but that's easy to remove.

Any reason for using two 1k resistors for the LED2? I sometime do that to reduce the number of different components but I can;t see that being an issue here.

LED3 only has a 150R resistor, that's different to the 500R LED2 has. Different Vf on the LEDs?

______
Rob

I don't know where the 1K resistance came from, though thanks for noticing. And what do you mean by the possibility of clashing between the ISP and the uSD, would this cause a problem when programming the bootloader without having the uSD physically inserted into the slot? Though the level shifter is still active, but would it matter? If so, how to solve this problem,a switch in between doesn't seem very efficient and a transistor can't solve this without making a few modifications i guess?

Kindest regards,
Niels

SirNickity

Keep in mind, when calculating crystal capacitors, load capacitance isn't the target capacitor size, it's part of the equation:

C1 = C2 = 2 * (CL - CP)

Where C1 and C2 are your two capacitors, CL is the load capacitance in the crystal datasheet, and CP is the parasitic capacitance of the circuit.

CP is such a small value, and very difficult to know in advance, that I usually figure it being somewhere between 5 and 8pF.  From what I've been able to see, this is pretty typical.  As long as it isn't wildly off, you'll be well within tolerance specs of the capacitors anyway.

C220amg

Keep in mind, when calculating crystal capacitors, load capacitance isn't the target capacitor size, it's part of the equation:

C1 = C2 = 2 * (CL - CP)

Where C1 and C2 are your two capacitors, CL is the load capacitance in the crystal datasheet, and CP is the parasitic capacitance of the circuit.

CP is such a small value, and very difficult to know in advance, that I usually figure it being somewhere between 5 and 8pF.  From what I've been able to see, this is pretty typical.  As long as it isn't wildly off, you'll be well within tolerance specs of the capacitors anyway.

Hmm, quite hard to figure out the exact CP value then, though from your feedback I could interpret that my current values are within reasonable boundaries.

SirNickity

That's all that matters.  I just believe it's better to know why you've chosen them, than to memorize a value and hope for the best.  :-)

Graynomad

Apr 03, 2012, 02:28 am Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 02:32 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
what do you mean by the possibility of clashing between the ISP and the uSD

The uSD output goes to MISO which also goes to the ISP connector. If a card was in place it might be driving that signal at the same time as the programmer is.

Also with all the other signals bouncing around who knows what that will do to the SD card?

But as I said it's easy to remove the card so that's all you have to do, and if this is only for the bootloader you won't have card in at that point anyway I would think.

BTW I just noticed LED1 has a 1k resistor as well and that's driven by 3v3.

______
Rob

CrossRoads

Why do you have output 5Y grounded?

MISO being connected without buffering should be okay. CS  to the card will be inactive while any other device is driving MISO, so no interference.

I'd be more worried about SCK going thru LED1 and introducing noise onto the CS line.
I appreciate CS going low to enable LED1 and show SCK activity - I would connect 3A to 5A, and use 5Y as that ground instead.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Graynomad

CS  to the card will be inactive while any other device is driving MISO

Maybe, maybe not. It's driven by SS which will be floating, what does the 4050 do with a floating input? The data sheet shows no pullup/dn resistors so I think it's likely to go either way.

Yes LED1 is potentially a problem, fixed as you say.

______
Rob

CrossRoads

Why will SS be floating? Only at reset/turnon. So maybe an external pullup on D10 would take care of that.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd74hc4050.pdf
The 74HC4050 doesn't have an output enable, so as long as the ATMega is driving it high or low, the '4050 outputs should be high or low.

Go Up