Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Laws of the Forum  (Read 2932 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

This made me smile -

Sometimes, even after I have typed a clever and technically accurate response, it is better to abort my posting and pretend you never saw the question.

Duane B

Been there, done that.  smiley-wink

Also must remember to resist correcting the correctors, unless if does really add important value. Sometimes I succumb, sometimes I don't.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:43:18 am by retrolefty » Logged

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

On the positive side, many members strike a commendable balance between giving the answer and giving the information to find the answer. In the short time that I have been around the forum I have never seen it formalised anywhere, it just seems to be the spirit of the forum, its great, keep it up.

Duane B

South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

One of the laws that should be there is this - When asking for help, don't really be asking me to solve your problem(s) for you.

Don't you just love those posts where someone, generally with little knowledge and seemingly no desire to at least load and tinker with the example programs, asks for solutions to a problem that they haven't even analyzed...

I think that in many places the Education system is more Answer based than process based.

Another Law for the Forum -

What you make is less important than what you Learned!

IRL
View Profile

On the positive side, many members strike a commendable balance between giving the answer and giving the information to find the answer. In the short time that I have been around the forum I have never seen it formalised anywhere, it just seems to be the spirit of the forum, its great, keep it up.

Duane B

Every living forum has a hidden self-inherent purpose or goal.
Usually these include to cooperate towards financial improvement.
So you lay out your action that all people can do their business without too much trolling or distrubing on purpose.

Trolls randomly add adverts, unrelated random word chains containing url's, and one big brand sign of trolls is spelling URL's two times.

They can bring down a forum if they become too many.

And every forum originally needs a critical mass to start off.

From zero, forums take years even to have a few members.

So it's often inherent from the original core group.

Generally, forums contain automatic rules that enforce sense of community, common sense, and kind of self censorship. Other's unfortunately really allow graphical violence and this qualifies communities as unprofessional.

Every social and friendly forum should declare "About Us", including where the admins come from. At least the country, and what they do for a living. You can't really trust made up handles.

The admins here on Arduino have at least experienced a moderation process, that made them Admins.

Some admininstrated forums are sensible against any kind of pattern that they have not seen before. So if a new member starts to talk in a pattern they don't know, and correlations they don't understand, these people get into trouble.

That's really a complex digital feedback network that interacts with the human mind, but there are some theories about these dynamics.

I also have PIC related web domain.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Other's unfortunately really allow graphical violence and this qualifies communities as unprofessional.
I'm not sure that graphic (or even graphical) violence has ever been a problem here.

Funny how a humorous thread about observed laws (note, not rules) has drifted off topic.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Funny how a humorous thread about observed laws (note, not rules) has drifted off topic.
Yes I was thinking that. Some people just don't get the joke I suppose.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Hell, we've been rumbled.
Just act natural and leave.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

When the person states up front there is a bug in the compiler the problem usually turns out to be... I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Duane B

Usually these include to cooperate towards financial improvement.
So you lay out your action that all people can do their business without too much trolling or distrubing on purpose.

Trolls randomly add adverts, unrelated random word chains containing url's, and one big brand sign of trolls is spelling URL's two times.

They can bring down a forum if they become too many.

And every forum originally needs a critical mass to start off.

From zero, forums take years even to have a few members.

So it's often inherent from the original core group.

Generally, forums contain automatic rules that enforce sense of community, common sense, and kind of self censorship. Other's unfortunately really allow graphical violence and this qualifies communities as unprofessional.

Every social and friendly forum should declare "About Us", including where the admins come from. At least the country, and what they do for a living. You can't really trust made up handles.

The admins here on Arduino have at least experienced a moderation process, that made them Admins.

Some admininstrated forums are sensible against any kind of pattern that they have not seen before. So if a new member starts to talk in a pattern they don't know, and correlations they don't understand, these people get into trouble.

That's really a complex digital feedback network that interacts with the human mind, but there are some theories about these dynamics.

On a good day I'm challenged enough if I can get a developing sketch to compile without errors, glad I don't have to understand whatever it is your trying to say about this forum, or maybe just forums in general.  smiley-wink

This forum is pretty simple in nature I think, if I need help with a problem or understanding something arduino, I just ask and read through the responses and usually find an explanation that clicks for me. If I read of someone asking about a problem or recommendation I throw my thoughts out among the other responses. Sometime they help sometime they don't. It's really not a complicated forum here.

Lefty

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Defective hardware or hardware failure will often be assumed or floated as a potential reason for a particular difficulty, when in fact it's probably one of the least common causes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:10:15 pm by Jack Christensen » Logged

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Yorkshire England
Arduino good init
View Profile

I haven't been here long enough to comment seriously on this subject. Non the less i do feel ive been here long enough to get a feel for it as someone who uses other forums and social media. I found it quite easy to see who was a moderator or that level person and a 'nee-bee' which in many ways i am. Also if you take the time to read posts and 'listen' then it is easer not to sound to stupid. Basically have a look at other posts about your problem before asking. Some times i find their was a shed load of stuff in the playground that i just didn't know about. I'm still learning and finding stuff there that i have asked questions about. Some times it's quicker to just ask a question here, if you know what your question is. Anyway i like this comment.

On the positive side, many members strike a commendable balance between giving the answer and giving the information to find the answer. In the short time that I have been around the forum I have never seen it formalised anywhere, it just seems to be the spirit of the forum

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I've often wondered if that's why the AE-35 unit failed, and pondered Kubrick's and Clarke's wisdom in not including that line of dialogue.

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

The investment on day one is inversely proportional to the chance of the project ever getting finished.

ie.

I bought ten servos XYZ sensors, a Mega and four brushless speed controllers. I need help getting my project to work.

South Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

I bought ten servos XYZ sensors, a Mega and four brushless speed controllers. I need help getting my project to work.

And while the individual making such a post gets the response - "Yep, you're right." they just don't seem to understand...

Back to the first rule of education - It's not the answer, its the process (Let's show some work, folks!)

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

- "Yep, you're right."
Hilarious and O so correct. smiley-grin
Thanks for giving me a good laugh
Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: