Go Down

Topic: How to power Arduino with super capacitor. (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

BassnHarp

OK, so I have read quite a few other threads that discuss this and it appears that powering an Arduino with a super capacitor is not a great idea.  It also looks like you can't just put in the capacitor, you need to add circuity to regulate the power coming out (maybe going in as well.)  Anyway not a big deal for my project so unless I'm missing something I guess I'll abandon the idea.

CrossRoads

Did you look at the part in reply #2? Little 5-pin part, add a couple caps and an inductor. Not much too it.
Only 'hard' part is picking a low ESR cap at digikey.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

BassnHarp

I did look at the part but being a complete newbie I had no idea how to use it for this application.   What you are saying is that you can use that under $2 part to "charge" the capacitor and to "regulate" the power coming out of it.  I used the quotes because I'm not sure I'm using the correct terms.  It does look like it is surface mounted which at this point I have not mastered either.

winner10920

How long are you looking to stay up for? With the lcd backlight it may not last long
I had a 5.5v 1F cap and it lasted a barebones 328 about 3 minutes, with just one led indicator
It lasts my mega and the 328 with a few leds about 1 minute
so for short glitches or a nice smooth power supply it should work fine but other wise not reallly
also that time is when it shuts down, its not supposed to be run 16Mhz @<5volts , probably with glitches and unpredictable results, it quickly drops below 3.5 volts within 20 seconds
and maybe now is the time to master the smd? Its really not as hard as you think it is, atleast I found out its not so bad with a little practice

BassnHarp

Apr 05, 2012, 09:20 pm Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 10:11 pm by BassnHarp Reason: 1
It's a novelty geek clock and I was thinking it would be nice if it didn't shut down with a momentary power dropout during a storm.  It's not a high precision clock and I have already got too much in material costs into it to justify adding to much more in hardware or build time.  I saw a note on another clock project:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88340957/nixie-tube-clock-black-and-clear-acrylic?ref=&sref=
about it having a super capacitor (a .33F) and thought it would be a nice touch.  I can see that the backup is for the time keeping circuit and not the entire clock display.  My searching on how to implement this type of backup lead me here.    

Go Up