Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 2.4" Colour TFT Touch Screen and Adapter Board for Arduino  (Read 483 times)
UK
pt
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Purchased one of the above 2.4" Colour TFT Touch Screen and Adapter Board for Arduino UNO and now find out that it uses every pin on the Uno.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=2.4%22+Colour+TFT+Touch+Screen+and+Adapter+Board+for+Arduino

Great (not).

Any suggestions as to what I can do with it now.

sig

Connecticut, USA
View Profile

It might cover all the pins, but from the sketch posted on hobbycomponents forum it only uses 8 pins plus a 5v and ground pin.
Could you upload the schematic for the adapter board? It's on hobbycomponents forum, I'm not a member there but I see you are and can access that schematic.

It's all about the skills

UK
pt
View Profile

It might cover all the pins, but from the sketch posted on hobbycomponents forum it only uses 8 pins plus a 5v and ground pin.
Could you upload the schematic for the adapter board? It's on hobbycomponents forum, I'm not a member there but I see you are and can access that schematic.

I have the schematic and can confirm all the pins are used. I have also had a reply posted on the HobbyCompenents forum stating the same.

Can you post a link to the schematic you have found please?

I'm stuck t see how useful this can be if all the pins are used up smiley-sad

Alan

sig

Connecticut, USA
View Profile

I have no schematic, I was referring to the sketch here as it only uses 8 pins plus 5v and ground.
And the schematic here , if you could post that here to look at.
Also if you can post the schematic to the LCD screen that will be helpful.
You post all the relevant information and people here will be able to better help.

View Profile

Good afternoon friends! this display does not use all the pins. I have the setting for one and mega256 platforms. I'll post here soon ok.

UK
pt
View Profile

Good afternoon friends! this display does not use all the pins. I have the setting for one and mega256 platforms. I'll post here soon ok.

Looking forward to your posting. Is it the same screen/board or one of the other similar types? See http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223769.msg1621352#msg1621352

Alan

sig

View Profile

Looking forward to your posting. Is it the same screen/board or one of the other similar types? See http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223769.msg1621352#msg1621352

Alan

Assuming it is the above display (The google link you provide on #1 doesn't really show anything?) then you don't need all the uno pins.

You need 8 bits for data + 3 pins for control, assuming you don't need the touch functions.

UK
pt
View Profile

This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141321869364?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=440442626135&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Screen and adapter board.

If you follow the Google link in the first posting and select images you can see lots of  them.

I think this is different to the one  referred to on the other posting where the claims of being able to use/need only a moderate number of pins to make it work. May be 'inside' it is the same which would give me hope.

I wanted to use the screen and the touch functionality and hoping someone will say there is a way to release some pins so I can read some input (pressure sensitive buttons) and send some output (PWM to control a separate analog circuit). I'd even be happy to have it communicate with another Arduino which does all the interesting stuff and leave this one dedicated to the screen and touch functionality for user feedback and settings.

I expected it to leave me short of pins but zero pins is just ridiculous.

Still hoping there is a work around (and does not need moving to a MEGA either as I would like to keep it as small as possible).

sig

Connecticut, USA
View Profile

Have some female jumper wires handy?
Connect all the pins from the adapter board to the Uno that are defined in the sketch plus the 5V and ground, see if it works.

View Profile

I am afraid the news are not the best.

That particular touchscreen uses SPI.
So I believe you have pin A5, TX and RX (pins 0 and 1) and either pin 8, 9 and 10, depending on the configuration (one is the touch C/S, the other is the SD C/S and the remaining is free.

There are other screens whose touchscreen is multiplexed with the TFT control wires, leaving you the SPI pins free (assuming you don't need an SD Card).

Adafruit has a 2.8" display that can be used with SPI. Im sure they have a re seller in the UK, so have a look, that's a significant pin saving if you cant really go with a mega.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8-tft-touch-shield-v2/connecting

UK
pt
View Profile

I have attached the schematic and you can tick off every pin of the Arduino as being used... someone smarter than me might be able to identify some redundancy.

The Adafruit version looks better but it has (perhaps not surprisingly) a big uplift in price and not going to be suitable for a small production run even with a some form of discount for multiple purchases.

Assuming that there are no pins available what use is it as the library also takes a shed load of space on the Arduino and its going to be difficult to write an interesting sketch anyway?

Please let me/us know if you have done anything with this device.

* schematic-2.4-v2.pdf (38.22 KB - downloaded 5 times.)

sig

Connecticut, USA
View Profile

@ acboother
Thread was split by mod, so to continue in your thread.
No, I do not have or have used this 2.4" display, have a few 3.2" displays in projects.
Are you using the SD card? If not using the SD card then you could try using those pins D10 -D13
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:38:35 am by elac » Logged

View Profile

As mentioned earlier its is an 8 bit, so regardless if they are being used or not you can get rid of some signals, such as the RD, CS and the reset, with the same applying to the SD card CS if you don't use it. The other pins you have to keep for the touchscreen. Google for what their purpose is, if you are not familiar. Whatever the case you have to re-wire the shield or get one of these:

(Check link below)

Even smarter, you could use the TFT CS to your favor. Add a buffer to drive some outputs and only write to them when you are not writing to the LCD. You can use the SPI BUS in the same way if you prefer to save some wires.

More than this I am afraid we wont be able to help. You could try to upgrade to a "bobuino" as a step between the uno and the MEGA

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:09:25 am by casemod » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: