Go Down

Topic: Bootloader problem - Arduino Mega and Duemilanove (Read 4581 times) previous topic - next topic

Runaway Pancake

It's an ATmega328P-PU and not a ATmega328-PU?
And you have the Board selected = Duemilanove?
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

drwaseem

Well,
I really really appreciate the help extended by all the friends here. Special thanks to Mr. Nick Gammon. Your solution worked like a charm sir.
It comes out that I was using wrong pins of Mega to connect to duemilanove. This should have been explained by arduino guys while explaining how to use Arduino as ISP. Thanks to Mr. Gammon, I used the mega pins as he explained and followed the instructions given at http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/247 religiously.
I was able to successfully program both the new Atmega328p and they are taking up sketches as they are supposed to.

A word of caution though, for newbies like me: Avrdude does not work properly with IDE 0018. while worked perfectly with IDE 1.0. Also, the bootloader for 328p that comes with "Arduino Optiboot Bootloader" ( which can be downloaded at the sparkfun page linked above) did not work for me. It burned the bootloader but then I was unable to upload sketches to 328p. Contrary to that, the bootloader that comes arduino IDE, works perfectly fine.

@CrossRoads: do we need to set fuses first for the new part for using optiloader to program directly through mega?

Regards

CrossRoads

@drwaseem,
I don't know.   westfw could probably answer that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy