Go Down

Topic: LCD and Keypad sharing data pins (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

MikeOToole

@Bill
When I said "essentially a software interrupt", I simply meant it interrupted the normal program flow of the mail loop... in hindsight, not a good idea to use that term...

Your detailed and very welcomed explanation serves to confirm my initial reading of the processes involved... Admittedly I started to question my understanding when the LCD glitch appeared...

Looking more closely I may have found the problem... looks like everyone spotted it except me. When my error was pointed out to me, I assumed I only had the graphic wrong but I also managed to get both the wiring, and sketch wrong (I transposed pins on both).

My humblest apologies and thanks to all, I feel like a complete amateur... who would have guessed I once did this for a living...

I'm off to fix the problem, once complete I will correct the code and image above...

Mike

bperrybap

Don't feel bad.
It's always the simple stuff that is so easy to overlook that often trips me up too.

--- bill

MikeOToole

Updated first post...
I think I have corrected everything... no more LCD issues, no more unnecessary delays, mind you after screwing up the pins several times, I will hold off on saying it's complete...
Mike

MikeOToole

Updated sketch here: http://www.phpbbireland.com/kiss2/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=265

Features:
  • Allows three different passwords...
  • Lockout if tampering (allows three attempts and then lock the keypad for X seconds)...
  • Uses a piezo device to generate keyboard tone and door open tone...
  • Backlight off if inactive, any key to turn on backlight...
  • Software driven contrast (user can set level)...
  • Latched output (relay 3 seconds)...
  • A test menu with some options (just testing)...

floresta

Updated first post...

AARRGGHH - Your original post had content that generated several replies.  Now that you have modified that post most likely many of those replies are no longer pertinent and you may even have inadvertently made the repliers appear to be somewhat ignorant.  The problems that existed in your original content and the suggestions that followed in the resulting replies can be a valuable resource that is effectively negated when the original post is 'corrected'.

Don

Go Up