Arduino Eclipse Plugin <Update>

Inagy
it may or it may not. I don't know. What I do know is that it is more likely to work when you follow the instructions :wink:

Best regards
Jantje

I have tried to make a simple Arduino project in Eclipse.

Now, after a succesful build of a small Arduino project, the "Upload Project to Target Device" button fails with a popup: "No AVR Project selected". This occurs even when I have selected the project.

Does anyone has seen this problem and can show me how to solve this? Thanks.

I used Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers 1.4.2.20120213-0813 and Arduino Eclipse extensions 1.2.0.

In the properties of my project, NO entry AVR is shown. It seems to me that here should be an AVR entry in the list "Resource, Builders, C/C++ Build, ....".
Paul

Paul
There is no AVR in the project properties in an arduino project. There is however a arduino option in the project properties.
If you do not have a Arduino option in your project properties something has gone wrong.
Best is to read through the documentation available at www.baeyens.it\eclipse and find out what has gone wrong.
In worst case restart from scratch following the documentation.
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje,
thanks for your answer.
There is an Arduino option in the project properties for a project that I create with File - New - Other - New Arduino sketch. Uploading works here.
There is no such option in the project properties for a project that I create with File - New - C project - AVR Cross Target Application.
I really want to program from scratch, without the Arduino framework.
Any ideas to get the upload functionality working with a AVR Cross Target Application?
Paul

Paul
As you can read at multiple places in this thread he arduino plugin is build on top of AVR win.
You are looking for the AVR win functionality. Please read earlier messages on how to go around this.

Jantje

Just to say "thanks" for this plug-in Jantje. I use eclipse "for real work" and it's nice to be able to use the same tools for "fun".
The ability to incorporate assembler (.S) files into a sketch is a big plus point for me. I must admit I was impressed when the ethernet examples worked "out of the box".

A serial monitor would be nice, but since I'm using a mega2560 I can use Serial1..3 for debugging :wink:

PeterO

Peter
Txs for the nice words.
What exactly do you mean with "I'm using a mega2560 I can use Serial1..3 for debugging ;-)"?
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
What exactly do you mean with "I'm using a mega2560 I can use Serial1..3 for debugging ;-)"?

It has got 4 hardware serial ports, so I don't have to use the first one that is connected to the USB interface for debugging. I write to Serial1 which has a TTL to RS232 converter connected to /dev/ttyS0 (which has a terminal program running on it).
PeterO

PeterO:
It has got 4 hardware serial ports, so I don't have to use the first one that is connected to the USB interface for debugging. I write to Serial1 which has a TTL to RS232 converter connected to /dev/ttyS0 (which has a terminal program running on it).

I hadn't thought about that one. But indeed that takes the "double usage" of the serial port away which makes life a bit easier.
Best regards
Jantje

Hello everyone. I am trying to use the Eclipse plugin but I am running into the following problem. I've browsed the forum for a solution and couldn't find an answer, but I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere. I would very much appreciate some assistance! :slight_smile:

When I try upload my project to the Arduino I get this error message:

Then I went to Project > Properties > Arduion > Target Hardware > Load from MCU and got this error:

So I went to Preferences > Arduino > Paths and input the path to avrdude. However, when I saved the preferences and re-opened them, the path was still unset. It would not save. It looks like this:

Hi
As you are on mac. Have you read this article? http://robots.dacloughb.com/project-1/setting-up-the-arduino-eclipse-environment-on-mac-os-x-lion/

I see you are configuring some things you should not configure. Have you been reading the documentation on www.baeyens.it/eclipse?
If this doesn't help you to fix the problem. Please read the troubleshooting section in the FAQ This page has been moved and post the console output.

Best regards
Jantje

Thanks so much for the reply! I really appreciate your helpfulness. It works now. I did a fresh install of the Arduino IDE, Eclipse and the plugin. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it works.
Have fun with it.
Best regards
Jantje

Is it possible to use your plugin with Eclipse Juno? I updated my machine to Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle yesterday and realized it shipped Juno.

I was able to install your plugin but when I try to create a new project, on the page where you enter your Arduino data like type or serial port everything is grayed out and you cannot finish.
When I open an existing project and hit the "Build Project" button, an error message pops out.
Also, the upload button is missing.

Any chance for an update?

Juno is not jet officially released.
I want first to release a version that includes a serial monitor (nearly finished)
Then I'll probably look at juno support when doing other things.
If there is really a incompatibility with Juno, I do not expect to have a compatible release before August.
You can easily install the indigo next to the juno. So I see no reason to hurry.
Best regards
Jantje

OK, did not expect Fedora to be that bleeding edge. :stuck_out_tongue:
I'll have a try with a parallel installation of the other Indigo release. If that does not work I'll have to stick with Verne on my notebook, despite the severe graphics incopatibilities with my notebook which are fixed in Beefy Miracle...
Thanks for your information!

I've run into another problem while installing the plugin that I'm hoping you can help with. The symptom I am seeing now is that when I try to upload to the board I get the message: "Serial port ____ already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it"

This occurs even if I have recently rebooted and there are no other programs running. After I dismiss the error message dialogue box, it appears to upload properly and I get the following output from avrdude:

Launching /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfa131 -b115200 -Uflash:w:test.hex:a -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf 
Output:

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "test.hex"
avrdude: input file test.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (466 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.08s

avrdude: 466 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against test.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file test.hex:
avrdude: input file test.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file test.hex contains 466 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 466 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done.  Thank you.

avrdude finished

No errors, however by the behavior of the board, it's clear that it was not properly programmed. Here is the output from the Eclipse Error Log:

Failed to handle Com port properly
Serial port /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131 already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it
Serial port /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131 already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi
I have never seen this problem before. It looks like the plugin can launch the rxtx dll but fails to open the com port.
Avrdude which uses his own rxtx code succeeds in opening the port.
Basically this means that the plugin can not reset arduino before upload. As most boards are reset by avrdude now this is less of a problem.
It also means that in the latest version you won't be able to use the serial monitor; which may be a bigger problem.

A question: when you select the board and com port; are the com ports of your system listed?

Best regards
Jantje

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but I got it working by reinstalling. Actually, I think it might have been user error. I think it's likely that I had not re-compiled the current project and was successfully uploading and older version. Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi

I've been unable to get the Eclipse plug-in to work with the Ethernet WebClient example in Arduino 1.01. Is there a trick to adding libraries that I might be missing?

So far, I copy the Ethernet WebClient example directly to Eclipse and I do not include the SPI.h and Ethernet.h headers in the .cpp file. I put the headers into the .h file for the project. I then import the SPI and Ethernet libraries into the project. I then try to compile the example and I am unable to do so.

Thanks for any help,