Avrdude: verification error. Help!

You are welcome. I am glad to know you have it working.

I'm having a similar problem with one of my boards. I bought another to try the fix described in this thread by using the burnbootloader and ArudinoISP. The first time it said the boards weren't in synch. After checking everything, I tried again but the system bombed. That is, after running BurnBootloader, the system hung doing nothing for a long time (several minutes: I did not hook up the signal leds.) and I had to reboot my Mac. I'm wary about trying again and would like to check two things.

1. The instructions mention a 10uf capacitor. I have a 100. Is that ok and is it correct that this is connected on the programming board (since it is a UNO rev. 3) and not the target (though it is also a UNO?)

2. There is a mention in the thread about a 220 ohm resistor that is not mentioned in the instructions. Is this necessary, and if so, which board should It be on?

Thanks.

Ondweb:

1. The instructions mention a 10uf capacitor. I have a 100. Is that ok

I can not think of any reason that would not work. I use a 47uF capacitor.

and is it correct that this is connected on the programming board (since it is a UNO rev. 3) and not the target (though it is also a UNO?)

Correct. The purpose is to disable auto-reset on the programmer.

1. There is a mention in the thread about a 220 ohm resistor that is not mentioned in the instructions. Is this necessary, and if so, which board should It be on?

The capacitor is a better choice. Do not use a resistor unless you do not have a capacitor.

Thanks Coding Badly, I'll give it another try.

I tied it again on the board that gets "programmer is not responding" whenever I try to upload a program to it. In the IDE window it says "Burning boot loader to I/O Board (this may take a minute)".

I waited 15, nothing happened, the Arduino program froze. Also, in the directions it says "Use the Burn Bootloader > Arduino as ISP command." But when I click on the burn bootloader option in the Tools menu, no choice is offered such as "Arduino". I doubt this matters, the ISP instructions appear fairly old (e.g., they mention the need to change a delay statement but that is correct in the version I opened and uploaded.)

Again, I didn't wire the error LEDs, I don't think that should be a problem but if someone else thinks else wise, do let me know. I'll next try my other dead board.

I found the "Arduino as ISP" option under the Programmer drop down bar in tools. Tried that (i.e., set the Programmer to Arduino as ISP then ran "Burn Bootloader" but that didn't work on either board either. Any suggestions welcome.

Ondweb:
Any suggestions welcome.

Post a link to the instructions you are using. Post the verbose output from a Burn Bootloader attempt (please use code tags).

Hi All,

New question but along the same lines as the previous posts. I've got a completed project and I want to make something like this:

This is to save a permanently installing one of my unos into the project.

My question however is, can you burn the bootloader onto an ATMega168 from an arduino uno?

The reason I ask is as the uno uses a 328 so I'm not sure how I'd go about burning the bootloader between them. The reason I'm using a 168 is mainly as the project uses one and I wouldn't know the pin layout if I did it with a 328; also the 168 is cheaper with the same amount of pins as far as I can tell.

If any of you could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Jack