IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.10

I didn't have any problem downloading the .zip file, unzipping it, and then running the Arduino.exe.
I don't install it, I just run the .exe.

WIn7 Pro at home. 1.8 does take a while to start, and complains about spaces in the name of some folder which I've been ignoring.

@ chucklippmeier

Besides giving ZERO information as to your issues I am not sure even a crystal ball would help.

Start HERE please

Followed closely by HERE

Then HERE

I am sure they will get you started on the RIGHT path to asking for help.

Get error message below when clicking any arduino.cc link in the Help menu. However, entering link to arduino.cc pages directly in browser does not give error. I think problem started with IDE 1.8.0. I'm using Win-10. I frequently used the Reference page link in the IDE Help menu to look up C++ commands. Going to any of the web links from within the IDE forces the IDE to close (with err message below). My work-aground is to create these links on my desktop, but find it handy to access them from within the IDE Help menu. Ideas anyone?

Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

[Close program]

1.8.1 great after 1.8.0, fonts fixed, window's size saved ok!

Just curious how 1.8.1 knows if your libraries are out of date? Is there a library repository somewhere?
This feature is much needed btw :thump

I haven't updated since 1.6.1.

mistergreen:
Just curious how 1.8.1 knows if your libraries are out of date? Is there a library repository somewhere?
This feature is much needed btw :thump

I haven't updated since 1.6.1.

You really should update your IDE. There are many new features and fixes since then.
The library manager was added in 1.6.2 and is a fantastic new feature.
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries

mistergreen:
Just curious how 1.8.1 knows if your libraries are out of date?

Just a note, updatable library notifications only happen for libraries that have been added to the Library Manager database so if you manually install a library you may still want to check back where you got it from occasionally to see if there have been updates.

pert:
Just a note, updatable library notifications only happen for libraries that have been added to the Library Manager database so if you manually install a library you may still want to check back where you got it from occasionally to see if there have been updates.

IMO, the platformio system handles Arduino libraries much better.

--- bill

Im getting an error message on the latest release 64 bit libtinfo.so.5 missing
Anybody else getting this ? I'm running it on Puppy Fatdog64 so guessing I've got to install it from somewhere?

Bit of googling this site gave me

Create a symbolic link
ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.5

In my case it was
ln -s /lib64/libncursesw.so.5 /lib64/libtinfo.so.5

Seems to have fixed it

I am UNABLE to run the built IDE on FreeBSD 11. The reason: liblistSerialsj references a non-existent library libc.so.6 (if I had that library on my system, it would probably NOT be binary-compatible with whatever similarly-named library existed on the system that the shared lib was built on).

I have tried "somewhat desperately" to find source for this library. it does NOT exist online.

What is so super-secret that 'generally insignificant' shared libs LIKE liblistSerialsj.so need to be kept CLOSED SOURCE like this? Please, OPEN SOURCE ALL OF THE LIBRARIES AND TOOLS! At the very least, a link pointing to where their source is would be nice!

I posted a similar issue over on github, too. Please FIX THIS PROBLEM. It shouldn't take much effort. Just POST THE SOURCE that you used when you built it. Ok? I'll take care of actually building the thing on MY end.

Keep in mind, that when there's a shared library reference like this, there is NO! GUARANTEE! that the ABI will match between Debian's 'libc.so.6' or Fedora's "libc.so.6" or Slackware's "libc.so.6" assuming they even EXIST on those systems. I can definitely say that FreeBSD's "libc.so.7" isn't necessarily going to work, even if I symlink'ed it to 'libc.so.6' just to try and get the IDE to work. That's because some of the libc functions DIFFER between FreeBSD and your typical Linux distro. Additionally, they're compiled using 'clang', and not gcc.

One of the advantages to a "build from source" system (like FreeBSD) is STABILITY. NOT having potential "ABI problems" due to shared libs ['DLL Hell' in the windows world] is a MAJOR ADVANTAGE to 'getting work done' in lieu of 'patching your system'.

So, thanks for the open source "everything else", but can you PLEASE post the source for ANYTHING that is downloaded in binary form when I follow the recommended build instructions?

Keep in mind, Debian and Mint are 'stuck' at 1.0.5 or 1.0.6 in their package systems, and FreeBSD at 1.0.6 . I don't know about Ubuntu, it's probably 1.0.5 or 1.0.6 as well. Why do you think these distros are "stuck" like this? Well, MAYBE it's because of a LACK of source for some of the JAVA LIBRARIES AND TOOLS that's causing it!

I mean, SERIOUSLY, why "close source" these things?

NOTE: if you were to provide ME the library specs, I could probably pound out independently developed competing source for these libraries that you could use for FREE, in a matter of a few DAYS. I'd even host them on my OWN github site, just to 'get them out there'. [and other developers out there could do the same thing, I bet]

bombasticbob:
Why do you think these distros are "stuck" like this?

Here's the reason:

It's very unfortunate that Arduino hasn't made it a priority to get this fixed. I see people frequently having problems with that "2:1.0.5+dsfg" IDE version. They don't realize they're using some modified version of an IDE version that's years obsolete.

i have been 2 day now trying install arduino 1.8.1 it get to file53/ folder 37 and stop .

killawatt:

Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

[Close program]

I have the same problem on my PC. Did you solve this problem? When i try run Arduino IDE i got this message. i tried reinstall java and IDE but nothing happens . I have Windows 7 64bit . Yesterday I updated NVIDIA drivers, since then I do not work . PLS help me .

SD card reader not initialising under 1.8.0, same program works fine on 1.6.9.

pmulvey:
SD card reader not initialising under 1.8.0, same program works fine on 1.6.9.

There's a bug in the SD library version 1.1.0 included with 1.8.0 that may cause that issue. Please update the SD library to 1.1.1:

• Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries... > Filter search by... > "SD"
  • Scroll down until you see the entry for the SD library
  • Click the "Update" button
  • Wait for installation to complete
  • Click "Close"

@ Libang

Did you use the proper NIVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA site or the ones Microsoft reccomended in the update schedule.

If it was the Microsoft version roll it back OR go to the NVIDIA site and download the proper ones.
The Microsoft updates for NVIDIA are nearly always broken.

Don't know if I am doing this right but here goes.

I downloaded IDE 1.8.1 and everything worked fine for awhile, then the Examples disappeared. I can still pull them by going to the Examples directory, but I can't get to them through the IDE.

Any ideas?

Do you mean that there is no Examples item in the File menu? If so, do you have a Sketchbook item in the File menu?

Libang:
I have the same problem on my PC. Did you solve this problem? When i try run Arduino IDE i got this message. i tried reinstall java and IDE but nothing happens . I have Windows 7 64bit . Yesterday I updated NVIDIA drivers, since then I do not work . PLS help me .

Exactly the same here with 1.8.1 and 1.6.6. I've also tried to install & reinstall both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of JRE, nothing helps. Although, I've tried unpacking arduino-1.0.6-windows.zip and it works flawlessly! But it doesn't contain boards manager, so that is not an option for me. Can you confirm that 1.0.6 is working on your system? Maybe that will give developers some clues to solve this issue.

UPDATE: GeForce Hot Fix driver version 378.57 worked for me: Error | NVIDIA

• Fixed crash in Minecraft and some other Java-based titles