Go Down

Topic: Solution for Itead mega 2560 not recognized by USB (Read 81946 times) previous topic - next topic

Butchalline

May 23, 2012, 09:49 pm Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:52 pm by butch Reason: 1
If your Iteaduino MEGA 2560 is not recognized on a USB port, try the following:

(Tested on Win 7 HP 64 bit, Arduino IDE 1.0, board ver. 1.1.  If you have success with other configurations please share your results.)

1.    Plug the MEGA 2560 into a USB port.
2.    In the IDE under tools, if the serial port is grayed out then you probably need to install a USB driver for this board.
3.    Using  control panel > hardware and sound >  view devices and printers > device manager, look for "other devices" and  under it "Arduino MEGA       2560".  There will be a yellow exclamation point ( ! ) overlaying the icon.
The list is in alphabetical order.  Look between Network adapters and Processors.
4.    Right click the Atmega icon and select "update driver software".
5.    Click "browse my computer"
6.    Click "Let me pick…"
7.    Select "Multifunction adapters" then click next
8.    Under manufacturer, click "Generic…."
9.    Under model, click "Generic…." Then click "Have disk"
10. Browse to Arduino>drivers>Arduino MEGA 2560 REV3 then select it and click the open button.
11. You should now be back in the "Install from disk" dialog box.  Click OK
12.  You should now be back in the "Update Driver software- arduino mega 2560" dialog. Click next.
13. Microsoft will now try to stop you from installing this driver.  You may now curse them and click "Install anyway…"
14. After about a one minute wait, Windows will take credit for successfully updating your driver even though it could not find it by itself!   About halfway through the wait you will hear a USB plug in sound.
15. Click close
16.  You should now be back at the device manager and the yellow exclamation point should now be gone and you are done dude.
17. To check, go back to the Arduino IDE and under tools, you should now be able to select a com port.

See how easy that was.  This is what windows calls plug and play.  Just wait until Win 8 comes out and don't even ask how windows can't handle keeping track of USB port assignments… Sorry for the formatting, I used Microsoft Word...

Enjoy and please feel free to update any of the above and post things you may find helpful to others.

Docedison

Butch, is this a 'new' install of the IDE/Mega 2560 BOARD or just a working IDE installation (in my case a Uno R3) not working on the new Iteaduino board??? the issue I have is similar although I tried as per instructions (for a new install) to "Re-Install" the driver with no success. I did go into the device manager and remove the non-working instance of the USB Port (the one with the yellow ! label. Did I do it wrong??? I don't know what is the issue here but the mega 2560 chip is working and reports "The Right Stuff" as evidenced by Mr Gammons help and sketch (Thank you Nick again for your kind help especially after my display of bad manners) So I am at a loss until I can replace the defective part (s) or connect a regular serial port to the Mega. I own both FTDI232R's and a couple of PL23XX USB adapters and mainly I am hoping someone will point out any faulty reasoning I might have applied in  attempting a 'fix' for the issue in that manner. an external cable for programming the Mega in that fashion is good to go for me. The Mega has a wealth of hardware UART's and dedicating one just for programming is not an issue for me at all, preferable too, as I have the parts in my "Junk Box". I can either solder a PL23XX cable directly to the board or make a connector using bread board connector pins.   IMO

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

iteadstudio

@butch

We are very glad to see that you have worked it out by yourself and have posted this useful solution for other users. Thanks for your sharing!

Cheers,
Wendy

smauser

I have had this problem sporadically over the past two years.  Very frustrating indeed.  Seems it's just arbitrary when I unplug the Mega from the USB sometimes, it just looses the Port when I replug.  Restarting windows 7 (32) does nothing, reinstalling the drivers does nothing.  Only found one solution, the obvious one noted on oh so many USB devices - "Plug the USB device directly into a computer USB port - do not plug into a USB multi-port expander"  My expander is a USB 3.0 expander and has never had a problem.  But when the Arduino hangs and does not show a serial port, I plug it directly into one of the computer USB's and it works perfectly.  Please be sure to try plugging the device directly into one of the computer USB ports.

3DDP

what if this doesn't work? drivers are updated, programs are updated, computer software and hardware is all up to date, but the device accepts usb power, can be written to with a tinyusb programmer, (the one that bypasses the usbport) but doesn't impact the board. The board is a rumba. I've tried 3 seperate cables , two operating systems, four programs, three rumbas, and nothing sees the rumba.
@3DDP.USA

Justchill

I'm experiencing the "USB not recognised" error when I power the arduino mega externally with a power adapter followed by connecting the arduino to my laptop using usb. However, if I don't power the mega externally and i just connect the arduino to my laptop using usb then I don't get the error, and it is appearing correct with no error/warning in control panel->device manager. Strangely this happened only in a shopping mall environment but in office it works without any issue. I tried it out in a shopping mall on separate days and 90% of the time the "USB not recognised error" showed up, but back in office there is no such issue. I do have connections from my own pcb to the digital and analog pins on the arduino,  and the pcb is receiving power from the same power adapter. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how to resolve the issue? Thanks.

ballscrewbob

@ Justchill

You may just want to read this first then add any missing information (there seems to be quite a bit)

BTW you are allowed to use new lines to make a post read more fluently.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Jim8541

Just my two cents. My Mega 2560 would install correctly on Win10, but I was unable to upload to the board. I found this "instructables" on the web and tried it, and it worked. Just a thought.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-bad-Chinese-Arduino-clones/

Jim G

rohitkhosla

this is final way to install Arduino mega 2560 drivers in Windows 10 or Windows 7 as well as windows 8
https://vtwood.org/how-to-install/how-to-install-arduino-mega-2560-drivers

Go Up