Go Down

Topic: Arduino Driving 68x16 LED Display Redux (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

inertia

Hello all,

Here is my previous thread http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256097238/3#3

I have constructed a 68x16 LED display.  It is technically made up of 34x16 bicolor.  It is a massive display about 6x4 feet and is quite impressive.

I previously have been working with shift registers (595's) in order to control this currently common cathode display.  It works and I am able to display still images directly onto the display.  It is great but I want to take this a step further.

Utilizing SPI control I was able to get the display rate to remove any flickering but I have reached a limit with this method.  The 595 is not capable of providing the brightness I was originally looking for.  In order to increase the brightness the 595 is not rated for the proper current for the leds at hand.  

I'm coming here for recommendations on how to take this to the next level.  I originally utilized the shift registers since I had them on hand and were cheap to buy a few more.  I am in a position where I can purchase more expensive materials and I am willing to do so.

Another problem people mentioned was the common cathode design.  If it is worth the trouble I am capable of splitting this display into multiple 8x8 matrices since I can just split up the cathodes across the display since the wiring was hand done.  

I am pretty capable of software design and hardware design but I just need that push in the right direction.

I would like to finish this project up soon though so I am looking to possibly throw someone some cash in order to personally advise me through this.  So if you are interested in this email me at abonventre-at-gmail.com with your ideas.

I would like to ultimately be able to control this via computer in order to feed animations and graphics via serial control.  I currently have a bit of this finished in Processing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you great minds may be able to provide.

Grumpy_Mike

You could use the STP16C596 which is a shift register with a constant current drive up to 120mA. Or a similar offering from TI TLC5916.
Finally there is the power shift register TPIC6B595 that can give you up to 150mA.
Hope that helps.

Go Up