Go Down

Topic: Using Arduino IDE with FabISP to program ATtiny85 (Read 6283 times) previous topic - next topic

Plusea

hello,

in the past i've successfully programmed tiny45s and 85s using the arduino IDE and a variety of ISP programmers. right now i'm trying to use the fabisp to upload a sketch to a tiny85 and i get the following error message:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

checking my mac system report i can see that the fabisp is listed under USB > hub.

i've also tried adding the following lines of code to the programmer.txt file, because i know i need to edit something somewhere, but i always forget what i have to edit and where.

fabisp.name=FabISP
fabisp.communication=usbtiny
fabisp.protocol=stk500v2

if anybody can help, that would be wonderful! thanks.

Coding Badly

Plusea

in the tools > board menu i have ATtiny85 selected.

in the tools > serial port menu the FabISP does not show up, so nothing is selected. but i don't remember being able to select it in the past either.

spycatcher2k

Aug 30, 2011, 07:19 pm Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011, 10:16 pm by spycatcher2k Reason: 1
Programmers.txt :

usbtinyisp.name=usbtinyisp
usbtinyisp.protocol=usbtiny

Think yours should be :

fabisp.name=fabisp
fabisp.protocol=usbtiny

Boards.txt :

attiny85arduinoisp.name=ATtiny85 8Mhz (w/ Arduino as ISP)
attiny85arduinoisp.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp
attiny85arduinoisp.upload.maximum_size=8192
attiny85arduinoisp.build.mcu=attiny85
attiny85arduinoisp.build.f_cpu=1000000L   <---- Should be attiny85arduinoisp.build.f_cpu=8000000L
attiny85arduinoisp.build.core=attiny45_85

Yours :

attiny85arduinoisp.name=ATtiny85 8Mhz (w/ Arduino as ISP)
attiny85arduinoisp.upload.using=arduino:fabisp
attiny85arduinoisp.upload.maximum_size=8192
attiny85arduinoisp.build.mcu=attiny85
attiny85arduinoisp.build.f_cpu=1000000L      <---- Should be attiny85arduinoisp.build.f_cpu=8000000L
attiny85arduinoisp.build.core=attiny45_85

Try these and report back
Mrs Drew
-=-
UK Based PCB Manufacturing - PM for details
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
Use Google or search this site BEFORE asking!

Plusea

that worked perfectly. thank you!

it was only slightly confusing because there are two boards.txt files, and at first i looked at the one alongside the programmers.txt file, which is in the hardware folder, inside the arduino application folder. here i found no mention of the ATtinies.
in the other boards.txt file, which is in the ATtiny45_85 folder in the hardware folder, inside the arduino sketchbook folder, i found the ATtiny code! which i replaced, and now all is good.

spycatcher2k

Glad you got it sorted - Please see the edit I made to previous post. I cut n paste from an old boards.txt

Mrs Drew
-=-
UK Based PCB Manufacturing - PM for details
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
Use Google or search this site BEFORE asking!

Go Up