Go Down

Topic: ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE (Read 207504 times) previous topic - next topic

cyclegadget

I know that this message is a month old but, were is the sketch you are speaking of?

cyclegadget, if you get a chance, try to pump the Atmega Bootloader Programmer (ABP) sketch into one of you bootloaded 1284s.

spcomputing

The sketch is Nick Gammon's bootloader program, but it has settled out now.  It appears that the DIP version of the 1284p has a communications issue on UART0 (Atmel issue).  I assume that you are using CrossRoads SMD 1284p board, so it will not affect your setup.  We did get it to work properly using the 16MHz external resonator but not the crystal (don't ask...).  So, while not perfect, everything is somewhat workable.

Thanks for belated check-in   XD

cyclegadget

Thanks for belated check-in   XD

I just about forgot which back burner I had this issue saved on.  :smiley-red: So many things to do so little time.

I have both the CrossRoads SMD 1284p and the Bobuino so, I could try the sketch on both of the boards. I have used the Nick Gammon sketch you are speaking of so, I have it handy! I hope to try loading both boards and see what happens probably tonight. Just for the heck of it.

spcomputing

Totally understand.

The Bobuino could be interesting if it is a 1284p for it should have an external crystal.  If you do play with this and the Bobuino loads it, I would be interested in what the fuse settings would be.

Thanks again cyclegadget!

cyclegadget

I am using IDE 1.0.1 for Nick's program and I can compile for the Uno but, not for the Bobuino. When I try to compile for the Bobuino this is the error message I get:

Code: [Select]
In file included from C:\Users\name\Documents\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\SPI\/SPI.h:15,
                 from C:\Users\name\Documents\arduino-1.0.1\libraries\SPI\SPI.cpp:12:
C:\Users\name\Documents\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\mighty-1284p\variants\bobuino/pins_arduino.h:38: error: previous declaration of 'const uint8_t digital_pin_to_timer_PGM [32]' with 'C++' linkage
C:\Users\name\Documents\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\mighty-1284p\cores\standard/Arduino.h:133: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage

I am not sure how to fix it.

CrossRoads

You have maniacbug's '1284 files set up for 1.0.1?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

spcomputing

Bobuino uses the "standard" core files, so I uploaded "blink" using the Bobduino board settings no problem.  When I uploaded the Gammon ABP, I received the exact same error.

Try the "Mighty 1284" board.

cyclegadget

Try the "Mighty 1284" board.

I can not get the board to upload unless it is set as "Bobuino". I try "Mighty 1284" but it doesn't actually upload. I discovered this by going back to the basic blink without delay sketch...it only uploads when set to "Bobuino".

spcomputing

Well, how about them apples...

Did you use the Optiboot Mighty 1284 as opposed the "The Orginal Mighty"?  Does Calundium 16MHz Optiboot work?

cyclegadget

Using Mighty 1284P 16Mhz using Optiboot worked for loading Nick's sketch to the Bobuino and SMD version but, I did not try to bootload any chips, I did see that the serial monitor worked correctly and printed the expected message containing the sketch title.

However, using "blink with out delay", pin 13 does not blink, I think Mighty 1284P uses a different pin map.

spcomputing

However, using "blink with out delay", pin 13 does not blink, I think Mighty 1284P uses a different pin map.

Indeed.  I was just interested in the communications.  Sorry if I was not clear.  Yeah, the blink uploaded to the other boards, but I did not chase down where the D13 was relocated with the pin map.  Excellent.  Any way of confirming the fuse bytes on the Bobuino?  Just a curiosity.

Interesting that the error you originally received that I replicated exactly (Never seen it before) went away.

cyclegadget

I used the bootloader from this link https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p the last time I put a bootloader in the Bobuino and the SMD boards.

Beyond that, I have been using the Bobuino board selection for everything except for Nick's sketch. I have had success with a LCD shield, both uarts, RTC using I2C, and the on-board SD card slot.

I don't know much about fuses so, I can't help you there.

spcomputing

That's cool... it was all just a curiosity.

I am okay with a resonator that works for me.  The tests I did for seem to be on par with an external crystal.  It is just one of those mysteries...

Thanks again for looking at it.  I did appreciate it.

cyclegadget

Thanks again for looking at it.  I did appreciate it.

I am glad that I took a look! I gained experience by doing the test, and I may help me in future applications. All part of the shared knowledge of this forum anyway.  8)

leo72

Hello. I've used 644/1284 in the past months and I've always used the Maniacbug core.

Now a friend of mine told me to try a different approch. I suggested me to create a new entry in the file /hardware/arduino/boards.txt based on the 1284P and then I was able to compile and upload working sketches using the standard Arduino core! The entry is this:
Code: [Select]

1284_16.name=Atmega1284p 16MHz
1284_16.upload.protocol=stk500v1
1284_16.upload.maximum_size=130048
1284_16.upload.speed=19200
1284_16.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
1284_16.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdc
1284_16.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xfd
1284_16.bootloader.path=optiboot
1284_16.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
1284_16.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
1284_16.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
1284_16.build.mcu=atmega1284p
1284_16.build.f_cpu=16000000L
1284_16.build.core=arduino
1284_16.build.variant=1284p

I know that using the Arduino core I don't have a bootloader ready to use, but my question is: is there a good reason to use a separate core, at the moment? Does the support for 1284 that's inside the Arduino core is complete or Maniacbug's core does offer more optimizations/support?

Go Up