[Solved] Rainbowduino 3.0b - stk500_getsync()

Hello,

I recently bought a Rainbowduino V3.0b but am finding it impossible to program using the Arduino IDE (1.0). Every time I try to upload a sketch I get the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

If I hold shift and hit upload I receive:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I am using COM port 10 and have selected the board Arduino Duemilanove with a 328 processor.

I grabbed an ISP and re-burned the Arduino bootloader but am still having the same exact problem while trying to upload the sample sketches provided in the library. I have however successfully uploaded code one time (before I re-burned) but I had done nothing different and it just worked by chance it seems. When I try to upload anything the reset light blinks followed by the Rx pin and then I get the failed message from avrdude.

I have nothing connected currently to the board and have tried multiple cables as well as trying different COM ports and re-installing the FTDI drivers. I have been trying for a few days to get this working and have looked all over the net but haven't found anything helpful yet.

Thank you for any help!

Are you setting the switch to the USB position?

It is on USB mode, sorry for not mentioning that before. I have tried toggling it too incase it was stuck between settings or something odd.

What bootloader file did you reprogram?

That will determine which board you need to select in the IDE.

I turned on verbose output in the IDE and this is the file it seems to be using for programming the bootloader.

avrdude: input file C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\bootloaders\atmega\ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

On a side-note, I noticed the option to upload a file using the programmer (never noticed it before, just got my first programmer the other day) and tried that and that does appear to load my code on just fine. I only connected one light instead of all 64 but it did light the one up. However, uploading through the USB port is still getting the same error.

Here's the last few lines before I get the error using verbose output trying USB:

Using Port : \.\COM10
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Thank you for the help!

What version of the FTDI driver do you have?

You might try changing the version of FTDI driver, see here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=165310.msg1238147#msg1238147

I tried both version 2.8.24.0 and version 2.8.28.0 and neither work (with a shutdown and restart in between each version change). I am now running version .24.

ewillcox:
On a side-note, I noticed the option to upload a file using the programmer (never noticed it before, just got my first programmer the other day) and tried that and that does appear to load my code on just fine. I only connected one light instead of all 64 but it did light the one up. However, uploading through the USB port is still getting the same error.

Keep in mind, that when you uploaded a sketch using the programmer, it will erase the bootloader from the flash. You will need to re-burn the bootloader afterwards again.

hiduino:
Keep in mind, that when you uploaded a sketch using the programmer, it will erase the bootloader from the flash. You will need to re-burn the bootloader afterwards again.

Yes, I had had tried it out to see if the chip was possibly not working at all, I'm guessing that it does still work if I can upload using the programmer. I re-burned the bootloader after trying it but still no luck.

You can do a simple loopback test to see if the FTDI is working correctly.

1. First jumper the reset pin to GND on the ISP header.(pin-1 and pin-2)

2. To test the USB switch mode, jumper the female right angled header Tx to Rx pins.
    or
    To test the Host switch mode, jumper the male right angled header TxD to RxD pins.

3. Open up the serial monitor (or any serial terminal program). It should echo back any characters you type. Also the Tx LED and Rx LED next to the reset switch should blink.

Using the .28 FTDI drivers, I was only able to get any output using the host mode, nothing out of the USB mode. I'm guessing this means that I am stuck using the ISP to do my sketches then?

Well, it sound like the switch is bad. That switch switches the Tx/Rx from the FTDI between the two ports and the m328P is connected to the USB mode. I would see if you can get a replacement.

Alright, thank you so much everyone for the help! I'll talk to the company and see if they can get a replacement out in a decent amount of time and if not I'll just deal with it and keep using the ISP.

Thanks again!

hi, i am a seeedstudio engneer, sorry about the rainbowduino problem. as the rainbowduino uses atmega328, it uses the same structure as seeeduino328. so, i think maybe the reason is :

1. bootloader, please ensure your bootloader is programmed rightly .
  2. and i think, the most possible reason is the switch, would you help to solder the 2 middle pins of the switch to the 2 "USB mode" pins , and try again, or test the resistance with a multimeter to see if it is short.

thanks .

Hi, I just got my Rainbowduino (on Mac) and I got the same problem: after loading new program, I am unable to load a new version without disconnecting Rainbowduino, and reconnecting it back. I upload right after it reconnects, and vola – no problem. But subsequent uploader fails.

How can I get analog input in the available analog slot?

I have a rainbowduino 3.0b and as far as I can tell, it's a brick. I can't program it at all, nor am I able to find a way to program a bootloader over the ISP interface.

I bought the Rainbow Cube kit and I'm trying to get the Rainbowduino to run the cube, but all I get is one blinking red LED in the upper right corner.

This is marked as resolved because OP got a new one? What are others doing? Am I the only one who can't get this board to do anything?

I eventually found a solution.

It seems the Rainbowduino 3.0b can only be programmed ONE TIME, and after you upload a .ino sketch with the Arduino IDE once, you can't upload one again, or make any changes.

Each time, the bootloader must be re-uploaded. Terribly inconvenient, however, at least it's not a brick. I've contacted support and they never responded.

I have a Arduino Uno that I used to program the Rainbowduino 3.0b. I used the following links:

The steps I used:

• Wire the Arduino Uno (programmer) to the Rainbowduino (bootloader target) a follows:
  • Wire I/O 12 to ISP #1 (Yellow)
  • Wire V5 to ISP #2 (Red)
  • Wire I/O 13 to ISP #3 (Blue)
  • Wire I/O 11 to ISP #4 (Green)
  • Wire I/O 10 to ISP #5 (White/Gray)
  • Wire GND to ISP #6 (Black)
  • Connect the USB cable from the PC to the Arduino Uno (programmer)
  • Start the Arduino IDE
  • File, Examples, ArduinoISP
  • Tools, Board, Arduino Uno (programmer)
  • Tools, Port, select the correct serial device (programmer)
  • Upload ArduinoISP to the Arduino Uno programmer
  • Tools, Board, Arduino Nano (target)
  • Tools, Programmer, Arduino as ISP
  • Tools, Burn Bootloader
  • Load a sketch
  • Disconnect the programmer and connect the target
  • Tools, Port, select the correct serial device (target)
  • Upload the sketch to the target