Rotary Encoder to display on 3 seperate 7 segment common anode thru Arduino Uno

I have a project I am doing for a class in which I am given 3 7 segment common anode LED, a rotary encoder, and an Arduino Uno, along with 3 resistor banks to connect from the led to the arduino which I have done so in parallel resistors to the Arduino. I am to display the angle of the rotary encoder on the 3 LEDs. I have the anode pins connected to 4 5 and 6. while my encoder pin a is connected to pin 2 , and pin b is connected to 3. The parallel resistor connections from the LED's are connected to 7 - 13. I am trying to type a code for this circuit but I have no previous experience on how to code for arduino. Any guidance would be helpful on this project.

natareno92:
but I have no previous experience on how to code for arduino.

Then you are in a little over your head. Take this apart and do it in smaller pieces. Take some time to learn how the basics of Arduino work and then get it to light up the leds on your display. Once you can display whatever number you want, then start working on a separate sketch to read the encoder. Once you can do the two things separately you can start to think about combining them.

If even starting that feels over your head then grab a couple of resistors and leds and start playing with some of the examples that come with the IDE and reading through the tutorials on this site. Spending a few hours with a good C++ tutorial will also help you get a good grasp of the language.

Also look up multiplexing. Each of the three 7 segment LEDs is switched on in turn for a fraction of a second so as to appear that all three are simultaneously lit. With the Arduino pins you have available, you are forced to use this solution.