3-Contact Push Button

I removed one of the micro switches from an unused mouse peripheral device. The switch has three contacts. When two LEDs are connected, one stays lit until the button is pressed, then the first LED goes out, and the second lights. A photo of my layout is attached. My question is what a switch like this can be used for. By chance it fits a breadboard perfectly.

brianeo:
I removed one of the micro switches from an unused mouse peripheral device. The switch has three contacts. When two LEDs are connected, one stays lit until the button is pressed, then the first LED goes out, and the second lights. A photo of my layout is attached. My question is what a switch like this can be used for. By chance it fits a breadboard perfectly.

Most microswitches are like the one you have. A common terminal (C), one terminal that is normally closed terminal (NC) connected to the common until you press the button. And a terminal called normally open (NO) that is connected to the common(C) terminal when you press the button.

Microswitches are usually used as limit switches to tell the controller that a moving arm or other moving device has reached the limit of movement.

The switches can also be used to indicate movement, such as a door opening or closing.

Paul