Your latest purchase

westfw:
I now have a nearly full set of Adafruit SAMD51 boards (ItsyBitsy, Feather, Metro, Grand Central, and NeoTrellis.
No "airLift", though...
I'm not sure what to do with that much CPU power, and now there's the Teensy4. Sigh.

I saw that Teensy4 ad from Sparkfun. 600MHz. Pretty badass, and pin compatible with 3.X. Sweet.

(I still like AVRs, clocked at 8MHz internally the best though. I can almost wrap my head around them.)

Gear motor with threaded lead screw.

AND

Brass standoffs, but going to use them as threaded brass inserts in plastic assemblies:

bought some component boxes from these guys https://www.componentshop.co.uk

I've bought from them before, battery cases, reasonable price, good quality, quick delivery. I'm looking for maybe some lipo batteries, don't know how they compare, yet.

Hi;
@raymw, looks like componentshop have removed that page, link works but no product to display.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Sorry, try this Boxes - Hardware
What happens, is when I post a link and carry on typing on same line, all my typing went into the link. I deleted too much last time and this time it didn't work either.

Also just ordered some batteries and charger from same folk.

After 8 years, my Linux server started to show signs of old age. It was time to build a new machine, one that I hope will last me another 8 years. Here is what I built.

Intel Core I7-9700K Processor

Gigabyte C246-WU4 Motherboard

2 16 Gig Patriot Viper 4 DDR4 for a total of 32Gig Memory

Thermaltake Smart DPS 750 W Digital 80+ Power Supply

1 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb PCIe NVMe SSD drive for the OS

4 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB solid state drives running in a Raid 10 configuration acting as my home directory and fast storage.

4 Seagate Barracuda 10 TB SATA HDD running in a RAID 10 configuration for long term storage.

Deep Silence 6 Super Tower HPTX Case

The buildout was completed this weekend and I am very happy with the new machine and look forward to the extra processing power and storage capacity.

Sorry, just excited and wanted to share how happy I am with my new server.

Inspired by robin and sane day delivery by amazon!

Qdeathstar:

I now have two of them !

The original one I ordered actually arrived at Argos (click and collect) on 9 August after I had got a full refund. The seller was happy (I think) to let me have it at a considerable discount rather than go though the hassle of having Argos send it back to him.

I was in two minds whether to take it but I reckoned I would never get that collection of parts at the price on offer. I am slowly constructing the second one in between other jobs - including writing a Python program that will write Openscad code.

The one I got from Amazon is the smaller 1610 version and I was surprised (and pleased) to discover that the slide bars on the 3018 are 10mm diameter compared to 8mm on the smaller model. At some stage I plan to do some tests to get a sense of which one is stiffer (i.e. more precise).

...R

i just got the x table built and one of the y pillars up before i had to stop fro a while.... about an hour. Went together super easy i was suprised the spindel holder is some sort of formed plastic and not 3D printed.... i bought some PCB blanks so that’s probably the first thing i’m going give a go... wonder if can make it do two sided pcbs...

The build quality on these types of things is a lot better than it was five years ago... not exactly the same thing, but i bought a replikeo 3D printer and the buold quality was atrocious... they used all thread as a lead screw...

Qdeathstar:

You have mad days too?

who doesn’t?

Not my latest purchases, but my most recent ones vaguely interesting, one of these handy little usb current/voltage testers

and one of these component testers - saves squinting at faded resistance colours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-in-1-component-tester-transistor-diode-capacitor-resistor-inductor-meteDLOI/153591547519?hash=item23c2c5067f:g:sJoAAOSwlkpcPsqs

or similar - based on the atmel 328.

I bought one of those component testers (like in the link) a while back. It is indeed very handy. Especially for less than $10.00.

I just bought a bottle of this cleaning concentrate.

Worked well to clean bugs off airplane wings. Wonder if it be effective to remove solder flux.]

Hi,
@raymw be very careful you don't put the ribbon, where it is coming out of the display, under any stress.
I bought two of these and only one would work if the flex strip was positioned in a certain way.

The bend in the ribbon is more extreme than is shown in the picture.

For work I purchased the unit that came in a case.

Tom... :slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
I just bought a bottle of this cleaning concentrate.

Worked well to clean bugs off airplane wings. Wonder if it be effective to remove solder flux.]

Are there any bugs at 1000 feet?
Flying to Calgary?

@raymw be very careful you don't put the ribbon, where it is coming out of the display, under any stress.

Thanks for the warning. It probably needs putting in a case, if only to keep the bottom of the pcb away from any metal, bare wires, etc. (My Unos, I double sided taped an old credit card on the bottom! They are about the right size, and have rounded corners.)

I think it really ties the room together:

It helps me get 'in the zone', or maybe just zone out.

I like the lamp :slight_smile: