uArm??An open source robot arm

Here is the design which I refer to, the World's Fastest Palletising Robot - ABB IRB 460.

The acrylic parts of new version of uArm? v1.1 is arriving now.

From now on, there are two kinds of choices for the head of the robot arm.
One is a sucker and the other is a servo for installing robot gripper on it. You can see two of them in the following picture.

On the other hand, there are also two ways to install the head to the robot arm. One is to face down and the other is to face forward. The following picture shows the parts for different install ways.

Install the sucker to the head of the robot arm.

Install the servo motor to the head of the robot arm.

The second way for installing.

As we call this open source robot arm. So of course we will make it open and release both the design of the mechanical and electronic with the final source files after we finish this project.

Excellent... thank you.

Not sure where you are storing your pictures, but they are not downloading for me using IE, I just get an X displayed. I like the design of keeping the servos off of the arm as much as possible.

Very attractive work, sincerely.

The fact of keeping servomotors in the base allows to limit the efforts on each, it is very ingenious.

zoomkat:
Not sure where you are storing your pictures, but they are not downloading for me using IE, I just get an X displayed. I like the design of keeping the servos off of the arm as much as possible.

We are so glad that you like our design, we are making a development of this robot arm and will make an update soon.

albaflo:
Very attractive work, sincerely.

The fact of keeping servomotors in the base allows to limit the efforts on each, it is very ingenious.

:slight_smile: We are making an improvement now. Will make an update soon.

The second test of uArm?, in this version we add 4 suckers on the chassis of the arm to mount it on smooth surface.

After a few days of improvement work, we have made some new designs of the robot arm. Make some changes of the structure to make the arm stable. Add a small gripper and the new sucker holder. Then we decide to try some other materials to make the robot arm. So we got a laser cut Basswood one.

Here is the laser cut Basswood parts.

Do the assembling.

The finish Basswood uArm.

More details of this arm.

Here the small gripper and the new sucker holder.

Change the head of the arm and install the gripper on the arm.

What’s more, we also made a transparent one by acrylic this time.

Here is the way that you can install the sucker with the new holder on the robot arm.

So far, we have 3 uArm?, the black acrylic one, the basswood one and the transparent acrylic one.

More testing videos and improvements will be updated soon. We are going to make this arm better, more stable and more accurate.

I need one....

Seriously guys, this is awesome work.

I know you still want to test and improve, but I would really love to get my hands on one soon! When do you anticipate release?

As we call this open source robot arm. So of course we will make it open and release both the design of the mechanical and electronic with the final source files after we finish this project.

If you want to build one by yourself, we can send you the files after we finish the project.

Will a project like this ever be finished though? 8)

EDIT: I'd be happy to consider the version shown

Would be nice to publish the arm frame plans in a pdf format which could be printed out on standard printer paper (larger parts might have to be split between two sheets of paper). I like the wood arm frame as wood can be easily worked with simple tools. 2'x2' sheets of 5.2mm lauan plywood are available at the US home improvement stores for ~$3.

Yep zk- although I've made contact with a local laser cutting outfit, I've been wondering about doing it manually too. Looks like a shit-house full of parts to work by hand, though.

I'd like to see a pdf of just one part, to give it a whirl.

PDF patterns would allow dimensionally accurate patterns to be printed, then traced onto what ever the construction material is. A long time back I started making an arm out of craft sticks which are light and fairly strong when doubled up and braced. The important part is getting accurate dimensions of the parts, the holes and the pivot points used in the arm. Below is an arm of somewhat similar design.

Here, the Karvinens use an alumin(i)um / polyethelene composite called Dibond. I'm going to try get some offcuts somewhere...

I'm assuming / hoping the screws, nuts, spacers and so on are all standard (hopefully Metric :stuck_out_tongue: )sizes.

Hi!

That's and awesome work.

I have 3D printer, if you want i can try to print it with ABS. That would give an easy solution for making the arm.

Thanks and best regards

zoomkat:
Would be nice to publish the arm frame plans in a pdf format which could be printed out on standard printer paper (larger parts might have to be split between two sheets of paper). I like the wood arm frame as wood can be easily worked with simple tools. 2'x2' sheets of 5.2mm lauan plywood are available at the US home improvement stores for ~$3.

Yes, our goal is to make a cheap and easy build robot arm. I have sent you a message about the pdf file.

malopezn:
Hi!

That's and awesome work.

I have 3D printer, if you want i can try to print it with ABS. That would give an easy solution for making the arm.

Thanks and best regards

Hi malopezn,

The 3D print one may be a cool idea of building this robot arm. But it may take a lot of time by making the parts by the 3D printer. While using laser cutting, it may be faster and easier.

Thanks so much.

Best Regards,
Eric