its possible a stepper go that fast?

hi i got i video, i have tried a stepper nema 23 with 2Amp per fase and 12V and the fast it can go its 800Steps/second ibs about 4Rev/s and 240RPM, but that its assumed to go 1500RPM??, its about 8000 steps/s, could it be that possible with arduino??

copachino:
8000 steps/s, could it be that possible with arduino??

Sure. Why not?
I'd use Port Manipulation to really snap things up.

how its that, can you show me please??, i dont need toeque as far as i can move a pastic pulley

To make it really fast, you have to knock out the step codes in parallel, [v]videlicet[/i]"Port Manipulation" -

http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/PortManipulation

ummm im kind of lost on that, have never used something that way, im trying this simple code, but when speed its about 8oo steps per second, the motor just vibrates, and dont move at all.

#include <AccelStepper.h>

AccelStepper stepper; // Defaults to AccelStepper::FULL4WIRE (4 pins) on 2, 3, 4, 5

void setup()
{  
   stepper.setMaxSpeed(1000);
   stepper.setSpeed(50);	
}

void loop()
{  
   stepper.runSpeed();
}

but when speed its about 8oo steps per second, the motor just vibrates, and dont move at all.

So that means the stall torque has been reached, therefore you need a higher voltage and a chopping regulator on the motor drive.

Grumpy_Mike:

but when speed its about 8oo steps per second, the motor just vibrates, and dont move at all.

So that means the stall torque has been reached, therefore you need a higher voltage and a chopping regulator on the motor drive.

i have a current limiter at 2.0 amp per fase, and 12v i could try 36V(if i get a supply fot that. im using a computer supply), but the video show a real fast stepper, maybe it has many less steps than mine i have a regular 200step motor, myaybe at 36v i cold look go at maz 1500 step per second but i think that would be my ultimate speed

It depends entirely on what sort of motor you have as to the maximum speed you can obtain.

have tried a stepper nema 23 with 2Amp per phase and 12V

NEMA 23 just tells you about the physical size of the end plate of the motor, it has nothing to do with how much torque it can delver nor what speed it can go at. So we have no idea if you are under running or over running the motor by giving it 2A.

Grumpy_Mike:
It depends entirely on what sort of motor you have as to the maximum speed you can obtain.

have tried a stepper nema 23 with 2Amp per phase and 12V

NEMA 23 just tells you about the physical size of the end plate of the motor, it has nothing to do with how much torque it can delver nor what speed it can go at. So we have no idea if you are under running or over running the motor by giving it 2A.

wel the motor have 2.0AMP per fase on the name plate, so i think current its ok, but i would to get more spedd, im trying to make the same aplication that the video

OK so given that you are running each phase at the rated value, and assuming that your power supply can provide 4A then increasing the voltage will increase the speed.

Grumpy_Mike:
OK so given that you are running each phase at the rated value, and assuming that your power supply can provide 4A then increasing the voltage will increase the speed.

i need to get another supply the pc supply im using as all atx supplys only deliver 12V and 8A, so it ok but i need more voltage, i see that i can drive my motor up to 2000 steps per second, its running on that speed now, and have the power to move more than the pulley, but to achive the full speed, it have to be a low speed star to defeat the inertia, after that it goes nice up to 600RPM i think i could aim 1000RPM with 36V, thats the max voltage the driver its rated, and probably could sacrifice the motor by feeding up to 2.5A, now it have 20 minutes running and its not even heat

i took my amp meter, and snap it on one of the four leads, but most be something worng, its reading only .263A, maybe the snap it just to AC

copachino:
i have a current limiter at 2.0 amp per fase,

Have you a proper stepper motor driver board?
If so, please post a link to its datasheet

IF NOT - WHY NOT.

Not using a proper stepper driver board is like trying to make your car run on kerosene.

...R

Robin2:

copachino:

Have you a proper stepper motor driver board?
If so, please post a link to its datasheet

IF NOT - WHY NOT.

Not using a proper stepper driver board is like trying to make your car run on kerosene.

...R

yes its a proper driver maded for somebody of the forum, it was maded for cnc, based on the DRv8025

The other technique to get a bit more speed is to ramp up to it. Look at the accell library for an example of how to do this..

Grumpy_Mike:
The other technique to get a bit more speed is to ramp up to it. Look at the accell library for an example of how to do this..

yes im doing that with a pot, and i get around 2400 steps per second max, more than that the stepper start to stop itself

i took my amp meter, and snap it on one of the four leads, but most be something worng, its reading only .263A, maybe the snap it just to AC

If your amp meter is the clamp on type, you were only reading the current's AC component. From the schematic, I see there is a 0.1R resistor marked "sense" for each phase. Try reading a voltage across the resistor. With your voltmeter you will get a more meaningful representation of the current, although still not completely accurate. The meter will read an average DC value but will just average out the PWM chop.

copachino:

copachino:

yes its a proper driver maded for somebody of the forum, it was maded for cnc, based on the DRv8025

I'm not sure if you are using the DRV board to limit the current or if you have some other current limiting system on your power supply.

By the way, should that be DRV8825? I can't find a dataseheet for a DRV8025

...R

Are you attempting to go direct from a standstill to over 800 steps per second? If so, I'd suggest that's another issue. Try to ramp up the speed more gradually. Once it's at 800 steps per second, THEN move the step rate up and see what happens.

Robin2:

copachino:

copachino:

I'm not sure if you are using the DRV board to limit the current or if you have some other current limiting system on your power supply.

By the way, should that be DRV8825? I can't find a dataseheet for a DRV8025

...R

sorry it was a typo error, driver its drv8818 from texas

also, yes im using driver on board current limiter option

KenF:
Are you attempting to go direct from a standstill to over 800 steps per second? If so, I'd suggest that's another issue. Try to ramp up the speed more gradually. Once it's at 800 steps per second, THEN move the step rate up and see what happens.

no, im using a pot, to ramp the speed, sstarting at 50Steps/s, and then going at max speed at 2400steps/s max, i can get more than that with 12v and 2A per fase