What can I salvage from this chinese android tablet

I own this Gome Flytouch (also known as Epad) Specifications | Android Tablets Forum tablet, it has this specs:

Specifications: Type?Touchscreen tablet
Materials?PlasticsColors?White / Black
Camera: 0.3 Megapixel (some have reported no camera in their units, but there's a slot)
Screen?7" Resisitive Touch screen at 800*480(16:9
)Operating System?Android 1.6CPU?VIA WM8505
RAM?256MB DDR2Flash
ROM?2GB
Expansion memory?SD/SDHC/MMC up to 32GB
Network connectivity?Wifi or ethernet (RJ45)
Sensors: accelerometer (supports rotation)
Vibration: yesBattery capacity?2400mah
Ports?USB 2.0 Host /USB 2.0
Device port/3.5 mm headphone jack
Sound: internal microphone and speakers

Battery really dont last nothing, and the OS, is pretty slow, Any ideas on what can I salvage for future projects?
Open to hear ideas!

aleza:
Battery really dont last nothing, and the OS, is pretty slow, Any ideas on what can I salvage for future projects?

Your dignity?

Not the kind of reply I was looking.... but thanks :roll_eyes:

Does it still function? I'd be tempted to keep it intact as even if slow it's a bunch of sensors in a network-capable package. Might be useful for remote sensing, or robotics. It's like having a Raspberry Pi that's already hooked up to camera etc ready to go.

Geoff

If it really has Android 1.6, that's pretty darn old and slow. There are many "new"
tablets coming out of CN that have essentially the same identical hardware, but
which now have Android 4.xx, which is much faster. If there is a possibility of
upgrading the OS, then it's probably as good as 1/2 of them out there today [at
least for < $400].

Even without doing that, I'd think it could still be used as a dedicated control
node for a home automation system. That's what I'm thinking of doing with my
old Android 2.3 tablet.

I had that in mind, also, perhaps make use of the screen or some other components inside.

Thanks.

I wasn't thinking of pulling it apart, just using it like a dumb terminal, use the
built-in wifi to connect to the home router, and display and interact with simple
webpages from the various Arduino boards with ethernet and wifi. It's too slow
for surfing the web, but my app wouldn't need any more speed than an Arduino
can muster on the other end.

aleza:
Not the kind of reply I was looking.... but thanks :roll_eyes:

Seriously though, it may have all those parts inside it but getting them out and making them work will be a huge amount of work - simply not worth it.

If it has bluetooth you might be able to use it as an Arduino controller. Or find a bluetooth terminal emulator for it and use it to display text for debugging.