Ideas for Arduino 0011

Hi All,

Really happy with the Arduino environment so far... its serving as a great base for my own open source projects. Anyway, I've run into some things that I would love to see. Nothing major, just interface improvements that would really improve my user experience (sorry for the web-dev slang)

• Add a library path. All the files in this extra path either get copied over at compile time, or just get compiled in place. Copying stuff to the library folder works, but I do library development in subversion, and i have a 'library' folder in there. As it stands I can do 2 things: 1. copy my libraries over every time i make a change, re-compile (works, but repetitive and painful) or 2. check out my files to the Arduino library folder, but then i have to remember to copy them back to the repository folder to get checked back in.

• Remember my last path on file open. I mainly use Arduino as a simple way to compile my code and upload it to the Arduino. I use TextMate to actually edit stuff. What I'll do is open a sketch, run it, go back to textmate to make changes, re-open the file and compile it again. Unfortunately Arduino forgets the last file I opened, which is a pain in the but when my file is located at /Desktop/reprap/trunk/users/hoeken/ardunio/firmware/HoekensCustom/HoekensCustom.pde

other than that, i'm loving it!

Why not use a Makefile and compile from textmate? Have you seen this topic?

I would be nice to have a similar option as the 'bootloader' burning from within the IDE, but instead of burning bootloader I would like to burn the .hex of my sketch.

i've seen that thread, i'd rather not use the Makefile approach. i actually like using the Arduino software to compile stuff.. it gives errors nicely right there, and its easy to upload once the compilation is successful. also, i'd prefer not to have to deal with re-solving the problems the arduino has already solved (mainly building + uploading the firmware)

i'm fine using Textmate for text editing, and Arduino for compiling and uploading... with the addition of a couple simple features, it would be much easier to do so. Also, then the process isnt Textmate specific... you could use any text editor you want!

i actually like using the Arduino software to compile stuff.. it gives errors nicely right there, and its easy to upload once the compilation is successful. also, i'd prefer not to have to deal with re-solving the problems the arduino has already solved (mainly building + uploading the firmware)

I've actually wondered about the feasibility of creating a "command-line only" version of the Arduino IDE to eliminate the need for the Makefile... Essentially, just allow access to the Arduino pre-processing and upload functionality from the command-line without requiring the GUI.

i'm fine using Textmate for text editing, and Arduino for compiling and uploading... with the addition of a couple simple features, it would be much easier to do so. Also, then the process isnt Textmate specific... you could use any text editor you want!

Has anyone had any experience with the seemingly undocumented "Use external editor" preference?

--Phil.

Hoeken: you should be able to just check out the library's folder directly into the libraries/ folder. Then it can compile and be checked in to the repository from the same place.

jds: that feature has been requested a few times now. I'll try to get into the the IDE.

That would be awesome Mellis. I have some strange issues/problems with burning .hex file that maybe can be solved this way (at least, I hope).

i'll try that.

can it handle libraries in multiple folders?

ie: i have a library folder that contains multiple libraries:

library/RepStepper
library/LimitSwitch
library/CartesianBot

if not, then its still a major problem to have to check out each individual library into the libraries folder.

i would still also like the file->open sketch option to remember your path, even if its only per-session. i'm sure others would appreciate it too.

I think you might need to check them out individually, but once you do, you can update or commit changes to all of them by doing "svn update *" from the parent directory.

The IDE does seem to remember the last open path, at least on my machine (Mac OS X 10.4). What OS are you on? What happens (i.e. which path does it go to)?