Strange and unreadable forum header - transparency issue

On my Mac, using Firefox (latest version, currently 3.6.16) if you scroll the forum upwards the logo and "Hello " message ovewrites the "menu box" in a somewhat unreadable and annoying way. See attachment.

Also the same thing happens with Safari. And Firefox on Windows XP. And Opera 11.01.

It doesn't happen with Internet Explorer on XP (version 6.0.2900.5512.yaddayadda). On IE the gray "menu box" seems to scroll out of the way.

Now you might argue that if it works with IE then that is good enough. But I don't know if everyone would agree. I was hoping that the days of web pages that say "Best viewed with Internet Explorer version 6" are gone, particularly for a cross-platform product like the Arduino.

So basically unless you happen to be using Internet Explorer, the "gray menu bar", far from being a helpful addition to the page, is an annoying mess, which is pretty useless, because it obscures the top of the message (or the top of the message obscures it, whichever way you want to look at it).

Arduino_Forum_Transparency_Issue.png

How low is that res?!

It works fine on everything I have tried it on - FF 3.6&FF 4, Chrome 10&11, IE9

Even when I lower the window res it seems to scroll to the top fine - it's not great how it goes onto two lines at a lower res though.

32-bit res. Should I go higher? (see attachment).

I seem to have computers coming out of my ears here, so I tried my new Windows 7 machine, using Internet Explorer. (see attachment). Same problem.

And on a completely different XP machine, using Firefox in Highest (32-bit) mode (see attachment). Same problem.

It's hard to read. I'm not using low-res.

Arduino_Forum_Transparency_Issue2.png

Arduino Forum Problem 3.PNG

32-bit res. Should I go higher? (see attachment).

I said res not pixel depth.

Anyway - I see what you mean now - it happens on ie9 (or is it 10) and everything else I try - I do wonder though why you have your window so small on a monitor with such a high res...

I would class this as a minor problem - but on another kinda related note - perhaps we need a mobile version of the site.

mowcius:
I said res not pixel depth.

Anyway - I see what you mean now - it happens on ie9 (or is it 10) and everything else I try - I do wonder though why you have your window so small on a monitor with such a high res...

I only shrunk the browser width to give a smaller image for the forum. It doesn't alter the fundamental problem that you have text written over text. And I am glad to hear you can reproduce it too.

mowcius:
I would class this as a minor problem ...

See attachment for humorous response.

Arduino_Forum_Transparency_Issue5.png

It doesn't alter the fundamental problem that you have text written over text. And I am glad to hear you can reproduce it too.

Well I still wouldn't class the top transparency banner text as too much of an issue though - perhaps the transparency % could be decreased a bit. I do use my scroll wheel though - perhaps you need to use yours more :smiley:

Your humorous response is highly exaggerated...

What is the point it beeing even little transparent? It is very unpleasant to see text going over other text.

Please, make that optional!!!

Would it help to create a poll, just to see if there's people who really likes that and NEEDS that?
No kidding.

Cheers,
Kari

Well nobody needs it - we could just have all green on black...

It's just they way they designed the site. It really should be a solid color if it's going to be there all the time.

mowcius:
Well nobody needs it - we could just have all green on black...

Now now, there there...
I like amber better...

Cheers,
Kari