Arduino ATMEGA328 - No port recognized

Hi,

My son and I are attempting his first kit (12-in-1). I have having issues getting the IDE to recognize the board. When I go to tools, the Uno board is selected. When I try to select any port (it is currently connected via USB), the port option is grayed out and you can't select it.

I have updated the software for the boards and libraries. Under the device manager, I expected to see an unknown hardware under ports but nothing listed.

Currently using Windows 10 home edition. I have tried all the USB ports and different cables with no luck.

Any ideas?

The error code when attempting to compile is below.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\ERINSH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_260924\core\core_arduino_avr_uno_5005b2103051647f355a19029d277612.a
Sketch uses 2182 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 52 bytes (2%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1996 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Check windows device manager. Anything happening in there when you connect/disconnect the board?

You might have a clone with CH340 USB-to-TTL converter. In that case you need to install the driver.

Nothing happens in the device manager when the board is plugged in or unplugged. I moved it around to different USB ports on the laptop with no changes.

Make sure the USB cable is fully plugged in to the Arduino board and the computer.

You may have a defective/damaged or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

So you plug it in, but get nothing in device manager, and no "ka-bing" noise like windows makes when you plug in hardware?

That leaves only a few options:

• Cable is bad. I'm pretty sure some of those "kits" are shipping with defective cables that have very high DOA rate, since we get a crazy number of people posting with this problem being fixed by switching to a known good cable.

• You're using USB 3.0 ports, and the computer's USB 3.0 interface has backward compatibility issues (this was extremely common in the early days of USB 3.0, less so now, but still not unheardof) - if the computer only has USB 3.0 ports, try sticking a USB 2.0 hub in between the board and Arduino - this usually fixes the USB compatibility issues.

• Board defective (very unlikely, but not impossible)