IDE 1.8.0 Released -- update: 1.8.10

dsyleixa:
currently I was using 1.8.5 (portable), now I want to upgrade to 1.8.8
I downloaded 1.8.8 zip (non-admin install)
after extracting, should I better
a) copy my old 1.8.5 portabe folder into the new 1.8.8 arduino folder, or
b) copy the new 1.8.8 arduino folder contents into the old 1.8.5 arduino folder
?
I definitely do not want to have to reinstall all my actual board cores from ESP and Adafruit boards anew...

It's easiest and safest to copy your old 1.8.5 portable folder into the new 1.8.8 arduino folder.

thank you!

extremely regrettable:
there is still no useable search function available yet for searching just whole words, or seperated functions for "find" (ctrl+F) and "search/replace" (ctrl+H).
tbh, that is embarrassing and devastating... :frowning:

dsyleixa:
extremely regrettable:
there is still no useable search function available yet for searching just whole words, or seperated functions for "find" (ctrl+F) and "search/replace" (ctrl+H).
tbh, that is embarrassing and devastating... :frowning:
IDE search tool whole words · Issue #7234 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub
Arduino Editor: Search and/or Replace · Issue #3727 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub

Devestating seems like a bit of an overstatement.

If it's that bad, you must have an idea about how to improve on what you have now.
So what stops you from picking this up and solve the problem for the entire community ?

To me, the present search function is sufficient.
But i'm not doing that much searching.
Perhaps if i'd have to use it to do my job, i might like it to be more advanced.

there is still no useable search function available yet for searching just whole words

Hardly the end of the World when a strategically placed space in the search term usually suffices

or seperated functions for "find" (ctrl+F) and "search/replace" (ctrl+H).

Whilst Ctrl+H would be nice as it is a standard, for find and replace I usually do double click to highlight the search text, Ctrl+F to open the find dialogue with the search term in place then tab to get to the replace field which I type in

Or as often the case, the seach and replace terms are very similar I double click to highlight the search text, Ctrl+F to open the find dialogue with the search term in place then Ctrl+C to copy the search term tab to get to the replace field, Ctrl+V to paste the search term into the replace field which I then edit

Ctrl+H would require no less clicks or keystrokes

UKHeliBob:
Hardly the end of the World when a strategically placed space in the search term usually suffices
Whilst Ctrl+H would be nice as it is a standard, for find and replace I usually do double click to highlight the search text, Ctrl+F to open the find dialogue with the search term in place then tab to get to the replace field which I type in

Or as often the case, the seach and replace terms are very similar I double click to highlight the search text, Ctrl+F to open the find dialogue with the search term in place then Ctrl+C to copy the search term tab to get to the replace field, Ctrl+V to paste the search term into the replace field which I then edit

Ctrl+H would require no less clicks or keystrokes

The unified dialog for both search and replace is completely confusing for follow-up searches, when there must not happen any a replace action coincidentally.
But above all that annoying issue is about the missing option "searching for whole words only", both for find and for replace.
As to "whole word" searches, spaces don't work compellingly, like e.g. replace: int by int16_t also in terms like (int) or , but not in Serial.print() or in int32_t (just 1 arbitrary example).

after having updated Arduino 1.8.5. to 1.8.8 on my PC, I now have to do that also on my Raspi.
In /home/pi/ can find a folder
arduino-1.8.5
feat also a subfolder "portable",
but IIRC there are supposed to be 1 or 2 to additional Arduino program folders (I read something about that in another topic), but I can't see them though (show hidden files is activated in the filemanager).

Which is the correct upgrade procedure to 1.8.8 on the Pi, not leaving any file orphans behind?

dsyleixa:
after having updated Arduino 1.8.5. to 1.8.8 on my PC, I now have to do that also on my Raspi.
In /home/pi/ can find a folder
arduino-1.8.5
feat also a subfolder "portable",
but IIRC there are supposed to be 1 or 2 to additional Arduino program folders (I read something about that in another topic), but I can't see them though (show hidden files is activated in the filemanager).

Which is the correct upgrade procedure to 1.8.8 on the Pi, not leaving any file orphans behind?

If you have never used the Arduino IDE without the "portable" subfolder present, then the only other folder used by the Arduino IDE is the sketchbook folder. You can find the location of that folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. If you have run the Arduino IDE without the "portable" folder, then there will also be a folder at /home/{username}/.arduino15. That is a hidden folder.

thank you, I can't remember how I once installed Arduino IDE on my Pi or if I altered a prior installation, I once followed some instructions I found in the web (which I do not remember exactly).

Anyway, there is no hidden folder visible.

Is there meanwhile a working apt-get install version?
or just these commands I found here in this forum?

wget http://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-1.8.8-linuxarm.tar.xz
tar -x -f arduino-1.8.8-linuxarm.tar.xz

will that install automatically also the hidden folder?
if yes, can it be simply deleted, or do I have to change entries in preferences as well?

After that I assume that I'll just have to copy my old portable folde into the new 1.8.8 folder like for Windows, correct?

there is no hidden folder visible.

I have not been following this discussion but that made me giggle

UKHeliBob:
I have not been following this discussion but that made me giggle

what is funny about that?
hidden folders usualy are not visible by default, but by checking the filemgr option "show also hidden folders" they can be made visible.

But back to the topic:

thank you, I can't remember how I once installed Arduino IDE on my Pi or if I altered a prior installation, I once followed some instructions I found in the web (which I do not remember exactly).

if yes, can it be simply deleted, or do I have to change entries in preferences as well?

After that I assume that I'll just have to copy my old portable folde into the new 1.8.8 folder like for Windows, correct?

what is funny about that?

Because by definition a hidden folder is not visible. There may well be a way to make it visible but then, of course, it is not hidden is it ?

UKHeliBob:
Because by definition a hidden folder is not visible. There may well be a way to make it visible but then, of course, it is not hidden is it ?

that is utterly nonsense and quibbling. Hidden is != Invisible, hidden is like "obscured". A hidden folder is not visible by default file manager display settings, but can be shown up by optional display settings.

back to topic:

dsyleixa:

No. Please don't use a package manager to install the Arduino IDE. You will end up with an outdated IDE version that may have been modified in unspecified ways by a 3rd party.

dsyleixa:

No. The hidden folder is created the first time you start the Arduino IDE without the "portable" subfolder. If you install the Arduino IDE with the above commands, and then create the "portable" before the first time you run the Arduino IDE, the hidden folder will never be created (because the portable folder is used instead).

dsyleixa:

Correct.

thank you, it works fine now!
(edit: just the location of the Sketch folder had to be added manually to the preferences)

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy!
Per

ARDUINO 1.8.9 2019.03.15

[ide]
* New target! ARM64 boards are now fully supported (Nvidia Jetson and RaspberryPi3 with 64bit operating system)
* Fix UTF8 related bugs on Windows
* Fixed: can now compile again using OpenJDK (removed dependency on JavaFx)
* Fixed: only use touchBar on OSX 10.12 or higher
* PluggableDiscovery: easily add your own discoverer and make it available in Boards/Port menu (thanks @PaulStoffregen for the idea and the initial implementation)
* LibManager: reduce slowdown when searching
* Fixed: ensure a sketch line is visible when it contains an error and must be highlighted
* Linux: the installer now tries to install a symlink is /usr/local/bin (this doesn't affect usual non-systemwide installation) Thanks @2E0PGS

[wifi-updater]
* Fix firmware upgrade not being available for 3rd party WINC boards

[arduino-builder]
* Use lexicographic distance as last chance to spot the right library (if every other tecnique failed)
* Fix some prototypes being inserted in the middle of a function

having installed IDE 1.8.8., the IDE always starts with a new (empty) file, not with the latest working file as before (1.8.5).
How can I make 1.8.8 to automatically load the latest opened file again?

dsyleixa:
having installed IDE 1.8.8., the IDE always starts with a new (empty) file, not with the latest working file as before (1.8.5).
How can I make 1.8.8 to automatically load the latest opened file again?

What works for me in 1.8.8 is with the latest working file loaded, click on File -> Quit. Then it comes back to there when the IDE runs next time.