Getting starte: My first project: Cruise control for ebike

Don't worry, Paul, the kill switch is not essential. Other bikes don't have it at all and the brakes are strong enough to stop the bike even at full throttle.
The throttle will cut out about a second after you stop pedalling anyways because the signal from the crank'S PAS sensor is missing.
But I want a smoother solution to only pull on the brakes for a moment and kill the motor that way, also to just keep pedalling alone without the motor.

Yes, Peter, you are 100% correct. A readout of the speed and then cranking the throttle up slowly until that speed is reached would be perfect, but the problem is, how to control that. Because the controller would have to understand not only the current speed, but also the acceleration, so it accelerates at a more or less constant rate up to the target speed.

I would love to have readouts on an LCD or preferably my android device on about everything

• battery temp
  • motor temp
  • speed
  • crank rpm
  • current
  • voltage
  • power
  • ambient temp

and switch controls from either setting a current (like with the poti) or a target speed (true cruise control)
with a display for target current and target speed.

2 reasons why, I don't want to go the poti route:

1. I don't know how to make the motor stay off, after the brake as been engaged
  2. I would like to learn how to program an Arduino and play with electronics

I can build PCs and maintain networks but have no idea of programming and very limited soldering experience. I have a 7 year old, and I want to be able to teach him more in that area than my father could teach me (which is zilch)