Google Chromebook and Arduino IDE support

myotheralt:
Rainyhere I am very interested as my PC is in the middle of dying on me.

It is now available on Chrome Store here:

I also pushed out an update this evening to support local file saving. Still a lot more to add...including error output from the compiler, library support, etc. but it will come over the next couple of weeks.

If there is a library you are interested in using, let me know, and I will make it available for the compiler.

Hi.

I'm interested in the AdaFruit libraries for chromeduino compiler. In particular, I would very much like the NeoPixel and LSM303 libraries. I'm using the AdaFruit FLORA platform.

Thank you very much for this very useful piece of software.

Best regards,

mbs

mitchmao:
Hi.

I'm interested in the AdaFruit libraries for chromeduino compiler. In particular, I would very much like the NeoPixel and LSM303 libraries. I'm using the AdaFruit FLORA platform.

Thank you very much for this very useful piece of software.

Best regards,

mbs

Okay, I will see what I can do this week.

This is fantastic! I can't tell you how happy I am that you decided to make this. I absolutely love my Samsung Chromebook 2 and use it for pretty much everything these days and this really does make it complete for me. Haha.

I look forward to all your future updates and hope that you'll continue with the project well into the future.

Thanks again!

carlosserious:
This is fantastic! I can't tell you how happy I am that you decided to make this. I absolutely love my Samsung Chromebook 2 and use it for pretty much everything these days and this really does make it complete for me. Haha.

I look forward to all your future updates and hope that you'll continue with the project well into the future.

Thanks again!

Okay, sorry for the delay. I added those libraries you asked for. You should be able to include.

If you have any issues, let me know. You can also contact me direct: spaceneedle at gmail dot com.

I hope to keep supporting this software into the future. I am a chrome OS user myself and I am getting very close to releasing the next update I am sure everyone is wanting: multi tab support and library support.

This one still sounds promising, if they could ever get Chromebook support working. There are other apps out there that could upload the code to the Arduino, I just wanted it to let me write and compile the code and I'd find a way to get it the Arduino, but still a no-go... 2 years and the popularity of this platform (Chromebooks) and still no support leaves me to think the developers at codebender.cc are not really in touch with the potential users out there.

johnwasser:
Try codebender.cc:

"online development & collaboration platform for Arduino users, makers and engineers"

"Code: Awesome editor, fast cloud-based compiler, helpful error reporting. Code faster and easier
"Deploy: Connect your Arduino via USB, or program your Arduino Ethernet remotely over the network.
"Share: Share your work, search for existing projects and clone them, or collaborate with others.

I have not tried it myself but it's probably your best bet if you want to do Arduino development with only a smartphone, tablet, or chromebook.

rainyhere:
Just one final update --

I now have a Chrome OS application that runs a local IDE, sends the sketch off for compiling on a remote server, and then takes the Intel Hex result and programs the Arduino locally. Takes just a few seconds for the round trip.

It does require Internet access for the Chrome App, but it works surprisingly well. Library support is very possible, but not written yet.

this new project might take a week or two to wrap up.

If you are interested, let me know, and I can set you up with a test account.

I've tried this and I'm very excited about it but I am not able to get it compiled and onto the Arduino. I am using the Arduino Micro and the Samsung Chromebook.

I have a chromebook, you have to download some apps form the appstore, but it seems to work for me.

Has there been any progress with this development? It's one thing I'm really looking forward to a great product with this!

About to use Arduino on a Chromebook, you can do it... but not directly. You need to install the Crouton script.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/795730-how-to-easily-install-ubuntu-on-chromebook-with-crouton

To be honest I think you'll probably need to perform your Chromebook adding more HDD space.

I hope those links shown above help you to reach your goal. Them helped me...

Lol... I was Glad I found the ChromeDuino,, my son got the samsung chrome from santa.. So I was Glad to see he could use it for our arduino projects... kinda odd I just joined this forum and see this post..lol .. Thank you Much for who ever created it... a 9yr old and me is Very Much appreciated !!!

I now have a Chrome OS funda galaxy A7 application that runs a local IDE, sends the sketch off funda galaxy note 4 for compiling on a remote server

do you have a link?

rainyhere:
Okay, sorry for the delay. I added those libraries you asked for. You should be able to include.

If you have any issues, let me know. You can also contact me direct: spaceneedle at gmail dot com.

I hope to keep supporting this software into the future. I am a chrome OS user myself and I am getting very close to releasing the next update I am sure everyone is wanting: multi tab support and library support.

Hi is there any update on the next release of this software?

has this project just been left alone?

codebender.cc just released their chromebook plug-in!!! If you're using a chromebook, make sure you update your version of Chromium -- it has to be at least version 42 to work. But, it's a very, very slick implementation.

bri_huang:
codebender.cc just released their chromebook plug-in!!! If you're using a chromebook, make sure you update your version of Chromium -- it has to be at least version 42 to work. But, it's a very, very slick implementation.

codebender.cc just UNreleased their chromebook plug-in!!! If you're using a chromebook, you're screwed up... :confused:

Chromebooks run linux, in developer mode you even have access to bash. They will easily run any version of gcc compiled for them. Absolutely no need to port gcc to java script (why would you ever waste your time porting the biggest compiler collection to java script of all languages), there is already a google fork of gcc for both chromium and chromium os as well as for NaCl (Native Client) and PNaCl (Portable Native Client). avrdude should also work. The work required is not in making an entirely seperate IDE and programmer but in getting the underlying java libraries to work on Chrome/Chromium OS's Aura window system.

Why this programmer thinks you need to upload your sketches to his server to compile them I have no idea!

For anyone searching this topic as from 2019:

Arduino has an online editor which works great to create, compile and upload code with my ChromeBook to my Uno and Nano. For the Nano I need to select 'Old Bootloader' to make it a go.
It just needs a plug-in for Chrome, so basicly this will be platform-independent. See: Arduino Cloud