shutdown due to extruder motor

I was having trouble with the filament coming out in large clumps. In an attempt to test if the extruder motor was the problem, I preheated the extruder, and tried to rotate it in the "move axis" menu. As soon as I attempted to rotate the motor, the machine shut itself down. If anyone has any idea how or why this is happening, I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Hi,

I have the Materia 101, currently in kit form as I haven't had the time to put it together but I would suggest you check the entire cable for the extruder for damage to see if there is a short happening.

Failing that can you change the motor for another to test?

Regards,

J.

kadar:
I cannot understand how you were able to move the extruder motor thru the "Move Axis" part of the menu. In my menu, I am only able to do the following:

Prepare
Move Axis
Move 10mm (only X & Y)
Move 1mm (X, Y, & Z )
Move 0.1mm (X, Y, & Z )

The only option I have to move the extruder motor is to select "Change Filament" which will re-home the X, and Y motors, and move the Z motor platform down, preheat the extruder, and eventually back out the Filament with the "Grub Wheel"

The firmware that you loaded into your mother board is written so that only specific actions can be taken as I have outlined above.

I suspect that you have not put the correct tension on your "Grub Wheel" (grub screw) so that the firmware will feed the filament correctly. Take another look at the Assembly Manual Materia 101 page 25 fig. 4, page 43 fig 1, (stepper ext), and page 53 fig 15, (grub screw adjustment).

Nothing may be wrong, and the machine quit because it had finished doing what you had selected in the menu.

Hi,
even though this thread is a bit old I'd like to add my two cents, in particular related to this:

> Prepare
   >Move Axis
      >Move 10mm (only X & Y)
      >Move   1mm (X, Y, & Z  )
      >Move 0.1mm (X, Y, & Z )

I've just checked on my printer and, while you can only move axis X & Y by 10mm, if you scroll down in the menu you can actually move the extruder too by 1 or 0.1mm.

Dario