Arduino Uno is a Beta Product and we are beta testers!.

Hi All.
Seeing all the problems with Arduino One in Ubuntu, Mac and Windows, it is clear that it is a beta product. Well but,
Why not advised of this situation on the main page and before to buy it?

Jaume Nogues
Vall Hebron Tech School
Barcelona

I like open source. I only use Ubuntu, I don't want use Windows. My comment is that I can not use the Arduino. Did not want to seem rude, but the last I'm trying to blink an LED and can not. I tried all the solutions proposed in the forum, on different computers, and only works on windows. Sorry.

Jaume

Different USB cable ? Different Uno ?

The Uno works fine on Ubuntu. I Use it. The IDE can be problematic on Windows too if its any consolation, its just Windows is rarely mentioned in the thread titles (and often needs to be got out of the poster). Windows users are often confident in the knowledge that theirs is the only OS out there and it goes without saying they are using Windows.......

Woe betide you if some installation in the past has removed 'Runonce' from the registry. :wink:

Sorry that you're having trouble. I do test the software on Ubuntu and it should work. What happens you try to run the software or upload to the Arduino? What error or message or behavior do you get?

Hi Mellis. I can't upload. The error is:

Error openig serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'
processing.app.SerialException: Error opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'.
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:146)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:76)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:75)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:93)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:56)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2302)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: gnu.io.UnsupportedCommOperationException: Invalid Parameter
at gnu.io.RXTXPort.setSerialPortParams(RXTXPort.java:171)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:136)
... 10 more
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Error opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'.
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:99)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:93)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:56)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2302)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)[/color]

With the arduino plugged in, goto a terminal screen and type

ls /dev/ttyA* -lt

and press enter and then post what it says back here.

Search for "ttyACM0"

Beta testers? that's like complaining about legos coming unfinished in the box. Arduino is by far the most user friendly prototyping board out there. There are just too much lazy people.

As a comment to the original poster my own experience starting a year ago is that the combination of Arduino and Linux worked beautifully right from the start. There has been a major hiccup with the Uno which must be deeply dispiriting for beginners, and would probably have put me off had it been my first experience of Arduino.

As far as I can see the problem is with the Arduino firmware and has nothing to do with the operating system you're using. I've updated my firmware apparently successfully following instructions in this forum but I can see that this procedure could be intimidating for some.

In my experience this is the sort of thing that tends to happen when you buy a new product. Alas.

All I can suggest is to try the firmware update.

Regards, Pete

Hi pluggy.

If I do: ls /dev/ttyA* -lt

it says:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 2011-02-11 18:06 /dev/ttyACM0

Jaume

Hi pythoncoder.

When you say update the firmware, Is the bootloader or 8u2?

Regards,
Jaume

The 8U2.

Regards, Pete

The update is done, and I have the same problems.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. I've only done the update in the last hour, so I may well be being over optimistic but so far it's working for me. It has to be said that the firmware update procedure doesn't give much feedback as to whether it completed successfully but I take it you're pretty confident about that aspect.

I'm afraid I've nothing else to suggest as I've been struggling with the Uno for days - you'd better wait for someone more experienced to turn up.

Best of luck, Pete

jnogues:
Hi pluggy.

If I do: ls /dev/ttyA* -lt

it says:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 2011-02-11 18:06 /dev/ttyACM0

Jaume

Is the user you are running the Arduino IDE under a member of the dialout group?

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Managing_Ubuntu_Linux_Users_and_Groups

Thanks Pete. I will try!!

Regards,

Jaume

Hi cr0sh,
yes, the user is member of dialout group.

Jaume

Hi All,

I finally found the solution for Arduino Uno and Ubuntu.

In my case has been run as sudo the IDE:

sudo ./arduino-0022/arduino

So far it seems to work.

Thanks to everyone for the help and sorry for my bad temper when things do not work.

Jaume Nogues
Vall Hebron Tech School
Barcelona

At great personal trouble and expense (OK, not so much expense) : the 'Complete Numpties Guide to Arduino on Ubuntu'

http://www.pluggy.me.uk/arduino-ubuntu/

No sudo, root, faffing with lists or access controls, just works.

Pluggy, YOU are an example of why Arduino is great!

We GOTTA get a place to PUT this kind of Institutional Memory before it gets lost! I asked about this on FORUM and was told "Put it somewhere in the Playground"..

What's the RIGHT way to handle this?? Isn't there a (Where Are We?? = "Installation & Troubleshooting ") FAQ???? ????

I've put a link on the Ubuntu Install page on the playground Arduino Playground - Ubuntu which is linked through from the install page. Its actually hosted on my own site, so the walkthrough itself can't be screwed with as on the Wiki playground. Hopefully some will find it when they want to install the IDE on Ubuntu and we'll get less threads relating to Ubuntu installs. I'd have done it with 64bit if I had something to hand that does 64bit......